Bad Storm- Wind Lots of Debris in Pool - Power Out

Great Site everyone, fantastic information.

Just wanted to check and see what others would do in this situation and ask for suggestions or thoughts on how i handled it.

Test results morning before storm
water temp 86
FC 4
CC .5
PH 7.2 (I am aerating to bring up PH after lowering TA)
TA 70
CYA between 50-60 (just had about 6 days after last addition, still adjusting)
CH probably about 20-30

Here in Virginia yesterday we had a "Wind Event" two tornadoes touched down near my home and we had extremely heavy rain for a brief period. I came home to no power, trees down etc. and to a large mess in my brand new pool. :shock:

So after cutting up a few small trees to clear the driveway i got to work cleaning out the pool. I skimmed everything from the top of the pool as best as i could and cleaned the skimmers. The power had apparently ran for a bit during the storm or after because they were packed with pine needles, leaves, twigs and other assorted stuff. I carefully brushed the entire bottom moving most of the stuff to the deepend and up against the back transition corner. I then skimmed again because i could see a lot more stuff with most of the bottom clear. I used the leaf rake and removed most of the debris and skimmed once more.

I then shocked the pool with Bleach, put in two gallons and turned off both pump and SWG because i did not want it started up without me being there and brushed the pool some to circulate the water.

Power came back on about 26 hours after it went out after a fairly cool but very sunny day today.

I turned the pump back on as soon as i got home and tested the water.

water temp 84
FC 3
CC .5
PH 7.4
TA 70
CYA between 50-60
CH probably about 20-30

Looks like things are things are doing just fine, got the pool cleaner running to clean up the rest of the bottom and the top has cleared off nicely. I did not think my FC would have dropped that low, i calculated that the amount of bleach should have taken my FC to 10 or 11 but I guess the sunlight and remaining stuff in the pool burnt it up even though my CC did not budge.

Any suggestions or thoughts, I am also trying to think how i would handle the situation if I was without power for a longer term.

I also believe my test results look pretty good, still trying to adjust things slowly into that optimal range.

Does anyone think there is any need for me to add CH to the pool?

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Sounds like you did pretty well. The FC drop could likely have been due to all the stuff in the pool.

No reason to add CH to a vinyl pool ... consider yourself lucky to have it so low ;)

If you have to go longer without power and you can get bleach, you can add bleach without the pump running, though it is a project. Pour bleach slowly around the edge of the pool, and then brush the entire pool to mix it in throughly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.