Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bad Storm- Wind Lots of Debris in Pool - Power Out

1. Back To Top    #1

Goochland, Virginia (outside of Richmond)

Bad Storm- Wind Lots of Debris in Pool - Power Out

Great Site everyone, fantastic information.

Just wanted to check and see what others would do in this situation and ask for suggestions or thoughts on how i handled it.

Test results morning before storm
    water temp 86
    FC 4
    CC .5
    PH 7.2 (I am aerating to bring up PH after lowering TA)
    TA 70
    CYA between 50-60 (just had about 6 days after last addition, still adjusting)
    CH probably about 20-30

Here in Virginia yesterday we had a "Wind Event" two tornadoes touched down near my home and we had extremely heavy rain for a brief period. I came home to no power, trees down etc. and to a large mess in my brand new pool.

So after cutting up a few small trees to clear the driveway i got to work cleaning out the pool. I skimmed everything from the top of the pool as best as i could and cleaned the skimmers. The power had apparently ran for a bit during the storm or after because they were packed with pine needles, leaves, twigs and other assorted stuff. I carefully brushed the entire bottom moving most of the stuff to the deepend and up against the back transition corner. I then skimmed again because i could see a lot more stuff with most of the bottom clear. I used the leaf rake and removed most of the debris and skimmed once more.

I then shocked the pool with Bleach, put in two gallons and turned off both pump and SWG because i did not want it started up without me being there and brushed the pool some to circulate the water.

Power came back on about 26 hours after it went out after a fairly cool but very sunny day today.

I turned the pump back on as soon as i got home and tested the water.

water temp 84
    FC 3
    CC .5
    PH 7.4
    TA 70
    CYA between 50-60
    CH probably about 20-30

Looks like things are things are doing just fine, got the pool cleaner running to clean up the rest of the bottom and the top has cleared off nicely. I did not think my FC would have dropped that low, i calculated that the amount of bleach should have taken my FC to 10 or 11 but I guess the sunlight and remaining stuff in the pool burnt it up even though my CC did not budge.

Any suggestions or thoughts, I am also trying to think how i would handle the situation if I was without power for a longer term.

I also believe my test results look pretty good, still trying to adjust things slowly into that optimal range.

Does anyone think there is any need for me to add CH to the pool?
    16,800 16'x32' IG Vinyl Pool, Buddy Seat, 7' Deep End
    Hayward Sand Filter(1.5 cups of DE), Pentair Pump, SWG Autopilot Digital
    Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed stir, Borate and Salt Water Strips
    Polaris 9300 cleaner
    Pool Filled First Time June 14th, 2012
    Previous Pool AG Intex 16' Oval, SWG (5 Years)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bad Storm- Wind Lots of Debris in Pool - Power Out

Welcome

Sounds like you did pretty well. The FC drop could likely have been due to all the stuff in the pool.

No reason to add CH to a vinyl pool ... consider yourself lucky to have it so low
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have to go longer without power and you can get bleach, you can add bleach without the pump running, though it is a project. Pour bleach slowly around the edge of the pool, and then brush the entire pool to mix it in throughly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Explains why I have two backup generators-----one for the house and one for the pool/office on the back of the house.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Goochland, Virginia (outside of Richmond)

Lol, i do have a house generator. I am considering a generator to run the shed/shop or pool or whatever if needed. Wife mentioned putting the pool on the existing house generator but thats a lot of amps to just find. Guess i need to look into generators. Lol
    16,800 16'x32' IG Vinyl Pool, Buddy Seat, 7' Deep End
    Hayward Sand Filter(1.5 cups of DE), Pentair Pump, SWG Autopilot Digital
    Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed stir, Borate and Salt Water Strips
    Polaris 9300 cleaner
    Pool Filled First Time June 14th, 2012
    Previous Pool AG Intex 16' Oval, SWG (5 Years)

6. Back To Top    #6

The electrician that connected my backup generator thought I was crazy when I said to put the pool pump on it. (it has enough spare capacity)

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~