Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much bleach per day?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much bleach per day?

About how many Ppm's does a balanced pool lose in a day? I'm just wondering about how many jugs of bleach I will need to keep on hand once I get my pool all situated! My pool is 27k in full sun and will have maybe 4 kids swimming a few hours a day.....
    Jill

28k gallon IG Vinyl Pool, 1hp Hayward 200 with Zeobrite in it, Full sun, no bottom drain, heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much bleach per day?

It is dependent on your CYA level to some degree.

But, given full sun and high use, 3-4ppm is probably not unreasonable ... if not more if they add the P to your ool.

So I am guessing about an 182oz jug per day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What jb said^^^^^^^^^^^
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool uncovered on a sunny day seems to use around 5ppm regardless of use in the heat of the summer. (obviously this is more of a minimum, with heavy use I'm sure it can go higher)
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

With a CYA of 50 ppm or so, the chlorine loss from sunlight is usually around half and then there's some small overnight loss. So that would be roughly around 3 ppm of one went from 6 to 3. At 80 ppm CYA, the loss may be more like 25% so going from 8 to 6 so a loss of 2 ppm. The background loss rate (the loss not due to sunlight) is a function of temperature so higher temps have higher losses. In my own pool at 88F, I estimate that background loss at around 0.7 ppm FC per day. If you're losing 5 ppm, that seems excessive. What's your CYA level and pool temperature?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

The test looks like 60 to me, but maybe it's a bit lower. I had a CYA of around 95 last year and also lost close to 5ppm on sunny days. But at 95 I was targeting 11ppm FC and taking it up to 15-16 at night. Now at 60 I target 7, so I'm taking it up to 12 on nights before a sunny day. Oh - almost left out the temp. Lately i've been letting it hover around 90, but I usually keep it closer to 88.

With the solar cover on it loses around 1.7ppm.

I just figured the sun was consuming it. Maybe I need to open my sand filter and rinse it..?
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]