Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard Algae Vs. Pollen

1. Back To Top    #1

Mustard Algae Vs. Pollen

How can i tell the difference? Right now I am battling a nasty case of cloudy water and am a little nervous that if it is Mustard, I won't be bringing up the shock high enough. Currently with my 27k, CYA 50, I am shocking at 20-23 ppm since Saturday. Today was the first day in a looooong time that I have see the vacuum at the bottom of the deep end! Yay! But it is still very cloudy and around the top of the water line there is this yellow/ brownish crumbly scum line. When I roll it around in my fingers it turns into a little stringy ball. Also there are lots of beige areas all over the bottom of the pool that I can vacuum up if I go suuuupppper slow but if I move to fast it turns to cloudy dust......Does this sound like Mustard Algae or just pollen?
    Jill

28k gallon IG Vinyl Pool, 1hp Hayward 200 with Zeobrite in it, Full sun, no bottom drain, heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mustard Algae Vs. Pollen

It's almost mid summer-----do you normally have that much pollen this time of year? Any friends with pools with the same issue? Pollen accumulating on vehicles or such? I'm betting not.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jill
    Does this sound like Mustard Algae or just pollen?
    Dirt, dust, and/or pollen. Geographically, where are you? Are you suffering from the same drought we've got in the upper midwest? If so, your pool is acting like a giant dust rag.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm in Michigan.
    Jill

28k gallon IG Vinyl Pool, 1hp Hayward 200 with Zeobrite in it, Full sun, no bottom drain, heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Pollen feels squishy, algae feels slimy & dirt/sand feel gritty.

If you are not already using them, try skimmer socks. They will catch alotta 'stuff' and can help you determine the source.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, yellow/mustard algae prefers shade so you usually do not find it on the sunny side of the pool. Pollen and dirt will tend to settle wherever circulation patterns tend to deposit it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

I am having the same issue .... and was afraid it was mustard algae ....I live in southern Indiana and the pool does not have any shade .... I vacuum both manually and automatic (like ever other day) .. it does seem to be better but the next morning some (dust) always seems to be there. I am still pretty new at this first time pool owner ...but I would like to get it right ....I clean the filter, maintain levels, shock and vacuum so not sure what is next. Any assistance would be great.
    15200 (24ft x 54in), Cartridge, Ag, Swim pro Voyager I am using a CC1750 cartridge filter, filtration area 175ft squared, flow capacity 110GPM, working pressure 30PSI, 1081 pool pump 1.5 hp[/color][/color][/color]

8. Back To Top    #8

So I HAD a clear pool for 2 days. The bottom was clean too, no beige dusty stuff. Then I let my FC drift doen to 5.5 and what do ya know? Beige uck on the bottom of my pool, cloudy water and losing 3-4ppms of FC overnight.....MA?

Sincerely,
    Annoyed
    Jill

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, that sounds like mustard algae. It usually takes an FC that is 15% of the CYA level to keep it from coming back. That's why it's usually best to completely get rid of it and that means not only shocking to a high level that is around 60% of the CYA level, but also getting behind light niches, under ladders, putting poles in, etc. Remember that it likes to hang out in shady areas.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Dang it, I hate mustard algae pool-school/mustard_algae
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!