Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Something is consuming my FC

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Something is consuming my FC

    Hi,
    I have a SWG unit but have been running my pool without it using bleach and had no problem.
    I wanted to start using the SWG so I have added salt to a level of 3000 ppm.
    I have also added CYA to raise its level from 30 ppm to 40 ppm, but this one is not dissolved yet.
    After few hours I have tested FC and was suprised to see that it dropped to 0, CC was 1.5 ppm.
    I have added bleach to raise FC to 5 ppm but after few hours FC dropped back to 0.5 ppm.
    I have added again bleach to raise it to 8 ppm, tested after 15 min and it was OK. 2 hours later FC dropped again to 1.5 ppm.
    During all this time I had the SWG running and the additional CYA soaked in the skimmer.
    pH is 7.4, TA is 400, CH is 360.
    It is an outdoor pool but all this happened after 5pm so no direct sun light.
    Any idea why FC levels are dropping?
    Thanks,
    Avi.
    Intex round metal frame 15' x 42"
    Intex SWG / 2000 gph cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    Outdoor pool with full sun all day long
    Typical temperture range in the 90's

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Something is consuming my FC

    Sounds like something is living in your pool. Time to start the shock process ... remember:

    [shock:3m6l57kf][/shock:3m6l57kf]
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,082

    Re: Something is consuming my FC

    (posted same time as jblizzle)

    Sounds like nascent algae growth that isn't yet visible, but if you don't get ahead of it then it will become dull/cloudy and eventually a full-fledged green bloom. You should shock the pool immediately. Go to 16 ppm FC at least (using chlorinating liquid or bleach) and keep it there until your overnight chlorine loss drops down to <= 1 ppm.

    What you are experiencing is what the pool stores classically call "phosphates eating chlorine", but it's really just algae growth that isn't yet visible. By getting ahead of that growth and killing off the algae, your chlorine demand should return to normal.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: Something is consuming my FC

    I was thinking about this option but:

    1. Water is crystal clear
    2. In the past when I had algae starting to grow I could touch the walls of the pool and it was becoming smooth, it is not the case now.
    3. It has started just after I have put the salt and the CYA in and turned on the SWG.

    Is there other possible explanation beside invisible algae? I didn't use the SWG since last year, can it be something that was growing inside the SWG?

    Thanks,

    Avi.
    Intex round metal frame 15' x 42"
    Intex SWG / 2000 gph cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    Outdoor pool with full sun all day long
    Typical temperture range in the 90's

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Something is consuming my FC

    [center:16w5zvac][youtube:16w5zvac]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:16w5zvac][/center:16w5zvac]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: Something is consuming my FC

    Have started the shock process. Started with FC of 18 ppm and within an hour it dropped to 15 ppm. I guess it will take some time...
    Is it OK to swim in the pool while FC levels are that high?
    What is the maximal safe FC level to swim in?
    Thanks,
    Avi.
    Intex round metal frame 15' x 42"
    Intex SWG / 2000 gph cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    Outdoor pool with full sun all day long
    Typical temperture range in the 90's

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cedar Hill, TN
    Posts
    248

    Re: Something is consuming my FC

    Quote Originally Posted by avish222
    Hi,
    I have a SWG unit.
    I have also added CYA to raise its level from 30 ppm to 40 ppm, but this one is not dissolved yet.

    Avi.
    What level of CYA is recommended for your unit? I was under the impression that it is about 70 or so, for them to work properly.
    Definitely finish the shocking process before adding more.
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Something is consuming my FC

    The recommended CYA level of my unit is 40 ppm.
    Does low level of CYA has to do anything with consuming so much FC at night time?

    The FC consumption started few hours after I have added the salt and the CYA. I can't ignore the feeling that it is somehow connected to what I have put into the the water. I'm testing the water daily and had no signs of anything going wrong before that event.

    Avi.
    Intex round metal frame 15' x 42"
    Intex SWG / 2000 gph cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    Outdoor pool with full sun all day long
    Typical temperture range in the 90's

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Something is consuming my FC

    Having a low level of CYA has nothing to due with your FC consumption at night. Something is living in the water and must be killed off with chlorine. The salt and CYA additions did not cause this problem. Follow the shock process jblizzle linked you to.

    Your problem is very similar to mine when I first found this site and it took me a week to clear up whatever was in my pool. My pool was also clear with no hint of algae but was consuming way too much chlorine.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,082

    Re: Something is consuming my FC

    It's possible that the batch of chemical you added had something bad in it that reacts with chlorine, but the solution would still be to shock until the chlorine demand was exhausted.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •