Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I add DE to my sand filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I add DE to my sand filter?

I have very fine brown particulates (dead algae, more like dust in size, you can way your hand near it and it becomes invisible it's so fine) that settle on the seams of my vinyl liner. I vacuum weekly going very slowly and methodically, but they come right back the same day. I don't know the size of my sand filter but it's about 4.5 feet high at the multiport valve.

Would adding DE help with this or should I just bite the bullet and vacuum straight to waste? As methodical as I am about vacuuming i'd be wasting a lot of water. Any links on how to add DE to a sand filter would be appreciated as well. I know I've skimmed a couple here. I'm against vacuuming to waste as I do about a 1 hour vacuum job and that would likely have a big impact on my water chemistry.

When I backwash the filter window is practically clear the entire time with some particles floating around it.

Thanks in advance.

FC=7
    CC=0
    CYA 40
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Should I add DE to my sand filter?

Yes, adding some DE will help with filtration of finer particles. You will, however, need to circulate the particles so they make it to the filter in the first place. You can do this by brushing..or maybe even swimming

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you ever checked the sand out to see if it is channeled? Or just flushed it really well using this info:
    my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

If the sand seems fine and clean then trying a little DE is not a problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Have you ever checked the sand out to see if it is channeled? Or just flushed it really well using this info:
    my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

If the sand seems fine and clean then trying a little DE is not a problem.
    Thanks, I have read about that. I'll give it a shot. I'm anxious about taking the multiport off because there doesn't seem to be any real flexibility in the plumbing to the multiport.

I did a total drain and refill to open (paid somebody to do so), so the water that's been moving through the filter the last month it's been open has been really pure.

The previous home owner apparently epoxyed over where the pressure gauge is (my neighbor said they had a blowout on the filter so that's likely why), so I have no idea what the pressure it.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by spidey07
    Any links on how to add DE to a sand filter would be appreciated...
    Here's a link showing how to add DE to a sand filter: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._a_sand_filter.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville
    Any links on how to add DE to a sand filter would be appreciated...
    Here's a link showing how to add DE to a sand filter: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._a_sand_filter.
    Thank you, that requires me to keep an eye on my filter pressure, and I don't have one. Previous owner expoxied the gauge input over. Heck, maybe I'll just buy a new multiport just so I can know my pool better.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like a good plan ... seems silly to have to guess when to backwash.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Sounds like a good plan ... seems silly to have to guess when to backwash.
    Well I just backwashed/rinsed right now after a very thorough vacuum on SAT. The only thing that is visible in the glass window is turbulent crystal clear sand granules. Never see any dirty water.

Thoughts on next steps? The water is crystal clear and chemistry is perfect, but this pool was neglected when we "stole" this house so I just want to make sure my filter is doing its job or if there's something I can do to help with the fine particulates (aka - adding some DE).

Thanks for all the replies.

9. Back To Top    #9

Taking the top of the multi-port off doesn't require moving any plumbing around. Just take the screws out and lift it off revealing the gasket.

Thanks, I have read about that. I'll give it a shot. I'm anxious about taking the multiport off because there doesn't seem to be any real flexibility in the plumbing to the multiport.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JesseWV
    Taking the top of the multi-port off doesn't require moving any plumbing around. Just take the screws out and lift it off revealing the gasket.

The screws on top of the multiport or the worm screw seal at the bottom that secures it to filter?

11. Back To Top    #11

He wants to take the whole multiport off to look at the sand, this could require cutting some plumbing if there aren't any unions there. Taking the top off of the multiport will only let him check the gasket (which I didn't was a concern). To take the whole multiport off, you would loosen the worm screw. Prior to reassembly, you should apply some lube to the seal.

If you do have to cut the pipes, take the time to install some unions so it won't be an issue in the future.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I think I'm going to pay somebody to come replace the multiport so I can have:

1) working pressure gauge
    2) PVC/plumbed properly with unions
    3) Check sand/fingers/channeling

I'll post a picture tomorrow but the 3 connections to the multiport are all screw fit (compression I assume). I could likely do it myself but it's a time vs. money decision. Plus I'll likely move to a SWG, so one big job would be best.

-edit-
    Seems the guys I have to look at my pool say "they never do the plumbing right" I am now convinced as my ball valves are at foot/ground level which lets you step on them and break them (yeah, that was me). The filter/plumbing was placed to be out of sight, make it a small treak to get to it.