Should I add DE to my sand filter?

spidey07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
I have very fine brown particulates (dead algae, more like dust in size, you can way your hand near it and it becomes invisible it's so fine) that settle on the seams of my vinyl liner. I vacuum weekly going very slowly and methodically, but they come right back the same day. I don't know the size of my sand filter but it's about 4.5 feet high at the multiport valve.

Would adding DE help with this or should I just bite the bullet and vacuum straight to waste? As methodical as I am about vacuuming i'd be wasting a lot of water. Any links on how to add DE to a sand filter would be appreciated as well. I know I've skimmed a couple here. I'm against vacuuming to waste as I do about a 1 hour vacuum job and that would likely have a big impact on my water chemistry.

When I backwash the filter window is practically clear the entire time with some particles floating around it.

Thanks in advance.

FC=7
CC=0
CYA 40

Yes, adding some DE will help with filtration of finer particles. You will, however, need to circulate the particles so they make it to the filter in the first place. You can do this by brushing..or maybe even swimming :mrgreen:

jblizzle said:
Have you ever checked the sand out to see if it is channeled? Or just flushed it really well using this info:
my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

If the sand seems fine and clean then trying a little DE is not a problem.

Thanks, I have read about that. I'll give it a shot. I'm anxious about taking the multiport off because there doesn't seem to be any real flexibility in the plumbing to the multiport.

I did a total drain and refill to open (paid somebody to do so), so the water that's been moving through the filter the last month it's been open has been really pure.

The previous home owner apparently epoxyed over where the pressure gauge is (my neighbor said they had a blowout on the filter so that's likely why), so I have no idea what the pressure it.

jblizzle said:
Sounds like a good plan ... seems silly to have to guess when to backwash.

Well I just backwashed/rinsed right now after a very thorough vacuum on SAT. The only thing that is visible in the glass window is turbulent crystal clear sand granules. Never see any dirty water.

Thoughts on next steps? The water is crystal clear and chemistry is perfect, but this pool was neglected when we "stole" this house so I just want to make sure my filter is doing its job or if there's something I can do to help with the fine particulates (aka - adding some DE).

Thanks for all the replies.

Taking the top of the multi-port off doesn't require moving any plumbing around. Just take the screws out and lift it off revealing the gasket.

spidey07 said:
Thanks, I have read about that. I'll give it a shot. I'm anxious about taking the multiport off because there doesn't seem to be any real flexibility in the plumbing to the multiport.

JesseWV said:
Taking the top of the multi-port off doesn't require moving any plumbing around. Just take the screws out and lift it off revealing the gasket.

spidey07 said:

The screws on top of the multiport or the worm screw seal at the bottom that secures it to filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
He wants to take the whole multiport off to look at the sand, this could require cutting some plumbing if there aren't any unions there. Taking the top off of the multiport will only let him check the gasket (which I didn't was a concern). To take the whole multiport off, you would loosen the worm screw. Prior to reassembly, you should apply some lube to the seal.

If you do have to cut the pipes, take the time to install some unions so it won't be an issue in the future.

I think I'm going to pay somebody to come replace the multiport so I can have:

1) working pressure gauge
2) PVC/plumbed properly with unions
3) Check sand/fingers/channeling

I'll post a picture tomorrow but the 3 connections to the multiport are all screw fit (compression I assume). I could likely do it myself but it's a time vs. money decision. Plus I'll likely move to a SWG, so one big job would be best.

-edit-
Seems the guys I have to look at my pool say "they never do the plumbing right" I am now convinced as my ball valves are at foot/ground level which lets you step on them and break them (yeah, that was me). The filter/plumbing was placed to be out of sight, make it a small treak to get to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.