Switching to Cartridge Filter

Jun 26, 2012
It has become necessary to replace my sand filter system on my 24' above ground pool. I am considering switching to a cartridge system and would appreciate recommendations on which brands may be best. From what I have researched so far, I will be using a 120 sf filter. Thanks.

How deep is your pool?

The recommendations I have seen here are at least 15 sqft / 1000 gallons. So if you are 3' deep you would want at least 150sqft, but if you are 4' you would want at least 200sqft.

Are there specific reasons you no longer want the sand? Wondering if it was maybe undersized and thus your desire to switch.

A quote from Linen in another thread for the same size pool:
Our recommended minimums would be 200 sq. ft. cartridge, 2.5 sq. ft. sand, or 38 sq. ft. DE (this is prefered by some...others would say you could get by with 19 sq. ft. DE filter).

first-time-ag-pool-owner-questions-about-filtration-needs-t48355.html

Actually, I have been satisfied with a sand filter; however, I am of the impression after reading information on this site that a cartridge filter is preferred. Perhaps I'm reading more into the information in Pool School and other threads here.

There is no preferred type of filter on the forum. The large majority of people like the type they already own indicating all three types are pretty effective.

Don't switch filter types just to be switching.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.