HAYWARD E65 FILTER IS HOT AND SMOKING!

I will apologize for my ignorance on these subjects in advance. :wave:
I have a Hayward Filter E65 Filter that I left on for 8 hours last night. I woke up this morning to find it hot and smoking. I know I need to replace an o-ring or 2 in the filter, but just hadn't had time to unscrew the 54,000 bolts that hold it down. Would a bad o ring cause the overheating? This past weekend I had a small trickle of water coming out the top of the filter and near the pressure gauge (I am in need of replacing the gauge-got a new one-just can't figure out why the old one is stuck.) When I took it apart to look at the impeller, there was a penny lodged in there. Don't know if there is any relevance to the overheating.
Please tell me I don't need to replace the Filter, it is only 5 years old.
ANY guidance is appreciated!

:wave: Welcome :wave:

The whole description confuses me as well. The filter should not be smoking, but everything you describe sounds like a filter (orings and pressure guages, etc)

I am guessing the pump is overheating ... maybe due to running dry?

Need more details, or better yet a picture you can talk us through.

Do you have any valves in the suction line that were closed? I would think a penny in the impeller would bind the impeller but the motor shaft might continue to spin inside the impeller by breaking free. Just an idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.