clean filter and/or continue shocking?

kplb4

Jun 14, 2012
East Tennessee
I am in the process of shocking my pool for the second time. Either I didn't complete the process the first time, although I thought it had met the three criteria, or I didn't understand and maintain the appropriate level of chlorine for my low CYA level after shocking. I have gotten better at testing and have added the recommended dosage of CYA since my first shocking. But I'm dealing with algae and cloudy water again. On to my question...

Last time I shocked the pool, I cleaned the cartridge filters well with a hose nozzle and re-set the gauge. After two or three weeks, the indicator shows that it's time to clean the filters again. I bought TSP to soak them and do a thorough cleaning this time. Do I leave the filters dirty until the shock process is complete, or do I try to clean them overnight? I don't want to waste the time, money, and effort that I have already invested in this shocking, but it seems that the water is not being filtered well and circulation seems to be slower. Will I interrupt the shocking if I turn off the pump and filter?

What should I do?

You have to keep cleaning the filters when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

Just pull them out and hose them down and get them back into the filter to allow circulation. No point in deep cleaning / soaking them now. Either buy a second cartridge to swap out while you are cleaning the other, or just spray it down the best you can and do a thorough cleaning when the shocking is done.

EDIT: I think you can run the filter without a cartridge to keep the water moving, but you really want to be removing everything you can, so I do not think a deep cleaning is required. You will likely be cleaning it very often for the next few days.

Well, there are four cartridges, so keeping four spares would be impractical. It's such a production to clean them thoroughly, but it bothers me to know they need to be deep cleaned and not do it. I guess I'll try to do a quick hose-down, and then deep clean them later on. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.