Need help with chemicals...

We just opened our pool and I took a sample to our pool store (I have the large kit I got from you guys here also)

Here are their numbers:

CYA- 9

FC- 0

TC - .6

PH- 7.1

TA- 88

Hardness- 59

They said I need to increase my alkalinity and calcium. I thought I didn't have to add calcium with an above ground pool?? Not sure if that's correct or not. They also said I need to adjust my PH down (prob because I'm raising alkalinity and that will also raise PH right?)
Anyway I bought baking soda, calcium hardener, PH down, CYA (I hate this stuff....takes forever to dissolve and show up in the pool test)
So, do I need to add the baking soda, PH down and calcium hardner? If so, how much of each? (I use bleach so will be adding to raise that)

Thanks!

Calcium doesn't matter since you don't have a plaster pool. 59 is plenty.

If anything, pH needs to go up a little bit. Borax (yes, the 20 Mule Team stuff from the store) is all you need to do this. You certainly don't need to buy ph DOWN, as you are already too low.

You don't need baking soda, as this is to adjust TA. Your TA at 88 is good.

You do need CYA. You can buy liquid if you don't like dealing with the powder. It just costs more per application.

You have zero FC and .6 TC, which could be an indication you need to shock your pool. Please read up on How to Shock your Pool in Pool School.

Have you given Pool School a good read?

If you have the TF-100, would you post your OWN test results, as I'll trust them more than the pool store's.

I'm trying to test my CYA levels now and I am out of the R 0013. I do have a large bottle of R 7065 but for the life of me don't even remember ordering it. How do I use this for the test instead? Seems it is different, it says CYA Standard...the R 0013 says CYA Reagent...

Thanks!!

Adding CYA via the sock and squish method is very effective and quick. 3 cups of the powder can be squished and dispersed into the water in ~3 hours. I've tested CYA at 24 hours and 48 hours after doing this and seen accurate results even.

The CYA testing hardly matters however. If you use pool calculator, know your water volume, and add a precise measurement of CYA powder there's little or no reason to test it early. If you put it in, it's in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.