Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation??

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation??

I will be gone for 10 days and i'm trying to figure out what I can do to minimize issues with my pool. I don't have anybody that I can ask to look at it. Is it ok if I increase my FC up from 5 to around 7 or 9? And can i reduce my PH to about 7.0 when I leave?
    33'x21' In-ground (23,000 gal) - 8' spa raised 18" with 8 jets | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation Aquapure 1400 SWG | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP & Jandy 1.5HP stealth water feature pump | Heating Jandy LRZ400 | Lighting Jandy LED Spa (1)/Pool (2) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard & Moss Rock | Finish pebble sheen type (riversand) Tahoe Blue

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Vacation??

What is your CYA?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

CYA is currently 65.
    33'x21' In-ground (23,000 gal) - 8' spa raised 18" with 8 jets | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation Aquapure 1400 SWG | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP & Jandy 1.5HP stealth water feature pump | Heating Jandy LRZ400 | Lighting Jandy LED Spa (1)/Pool (2) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard & Moss Rock | Finish pebble sheen type (riversand) Tahoe Blue

4. Back To Top    #4

[EDIT] The following assumes no automated dosing. I missed reading that there is an SWG which should maintain chlorine levels automatically. [END-EDIT]

If you've got full sun, then with a CYA of 65 you may lose around 35% of the FC each day (is that how much you lose over 24 hours?). Even if you raised it to 20 ppm FC, it would drop...

20 ... 13 ... 8.5 ... 5.5 ... 3.6 ... 2.3 ... 1.5 ... 1.0 ... 0.6 ... 0.4 ... 0.3

and usually when it gets very low it may go away completely and not just be a proportional loss. By shocking higher (say to 26 ppm) one can usually go for almost 7 days, but 10 days is a stretch unless you cover the pool with an opaque pool cover.

You might consider having Trichlor in a floating feeder, though that usually doesn't last for 10 days, but if you put it on the slowest release setting it might help for those last days.

Another thing you can do is to add Polyquat 60 in a larger initial dose. That also won't last for too long, but it will still have some remaining even after one week. You'll need to dose with it first, then shock with chlorine, then bring the chlorine back up after a day or two since some of the Polyquat will react with the chlorine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

I do get full sun. But, with my SWCG I don't currently lose that much FC. But, we just started the 100 degree weather and I don't know what will happen to my FC if it stays that hot. How high should I raise my FC? How low should I bring my PH?

6. Back To Top    #6

If the SWG is maintaining FC, what is the concern? That is one of the benefits of the SWG. If you are worried, just turn the % up a bit. OR just bump the FC level up to shock level with bleach and let it slowly drift down since the SWG will still be adding FC.

I would lower the pH to about 7.2 if it tends to rise.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I am confused. With a SWG, chlorination should not be an issue while you are gone. If concerned about it, increase the rate and/or your pump run time. You might consider lowering PH a little, if it tends to creep up over a normal 10 day period.

Am I missing something?
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

8. Back To Top    #8

My main concern was I don't have any expeirence with the pool yet and wanted to know if I should raise the FC up with bleach (to make sure I don't have any problems). I'm just concerned with what % to raise my SWCG since we just started with the 100 degree weather. I currently have it at about 70%. I was thinking I would raise it up to 9PPM with the help of bleach.

I'll lower the PH to 7.2

9. Back To Top    #9

If your SWG is maintaining your FC correctly each day now, don't do anything. In 10 days, you should have the same FC level. The only issue is if it stopped working, which isn't really an issue.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit