Doing my first shock

Jun 21, 2012
Pensacola, FL
In the middle of my first shocking process and I have a couple scattered questions:

1. In the first two hours of the schock my FC dropped by 15PPM approximately. That seems a little excessive but I have no basis to think that. If it keeps up like its going to be painful to my wallet to keep up the FC level.

2. How often should I recheck? The pool school article says at least twice a day but not more than once an hour. Anyone have a happy medium?

3. Is it necessary to run the filter 24/7? Im not really sure I can afford that...

4. When do I give the all clear to swim in the pool once I stop shocking?

1. N/A

2. There is no medium as the interval will get longer and longer as you progress. Start every couple of hours and lengthen it out as you see less FC drop.

3. I don't see much of an option. Manually vacuuming and brushing is a mandatory part of the process but you should really run your pump constantly until your pool is crystal clear.

4. You are finished with the shock process when...

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

You can swim whenever you feel it is safe (not cloudy water) but you will slow down the process if you do so before you meet the criteria above.

duraleigh said:
1. N/A

2. There is no medium as the interval will get longer and longer as you progress. Start every couple of hours and lengthen it out as you see less FC drop.

3. I don't see much of an option. Manually vacuuming and brushing is a mandatory part of the process but you should really run your pump constantly until your pool is crystal clear.

4. You are finished with the shock process when...

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

You can swim whenever you feel it is safe (not cloudy water) but you will slow down the process if you do so before you meet the criteria above.

By answering 1. as N/a I'm assuming that means there is basically no way to answer that because of the number of variables affecting it? ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.