Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

shocking

We had some issues with our salt pump not working consistently so we now have a slight algae problem. Got a new salt pump and now I plan to shock the pool this evening. My question is how long after putting the shock treatment in do I need to vacuum?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: shocking

I think you should start by review some of the Pool School articles (button at upper right). Are you referring to a pump or a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG)? "Salt pump" is kind of an odd term

[shock:340be0vj][/shock:340be0vj]

Here are some other details about the shock process:
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

jbizzle types faster than me!

So, um... Welcome to TFP!
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

4. Back To Top    #4

For lack of better term- we call it a salt pump around here- but technically its the SWG. I've read some of the pool school articles. That's what led me to hoping shocking will fix our problem. Really not sure what we are doing! lol Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

One key piece of information is your CYA level. If it is near zero, then the SWG will not be able to produce enough FC to overcome the loss due to the sun's UV rays. This will then lead to algae growth which adds even more FC demand and the SWG just falls further and further behind.

Get one of the recommended test kits
    Post up a full set of test results.
    Then follow the shock process ... once you pass the 3 test to stop
    Post another set of results and we will get you dialed in.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

It looks so much better today! We are not green! I will get a test kit as soon as I can- we live quite some ways from a town with a pool supply, and we've never had this problem. Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by tator35
    It looks so much better today! We are not green!
    Yay! Progress! Now stay on top of it!

I will get a test kit as soon as I can- we live quite some ways from a town with a pool supply, and we've never had this problem. Thanks
    Once you have a test kit, and take ownership of your pool, that won't be a problem.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tator35
    It looks so much better today! We are not green! I will get a test kit as soon as I can- we live quite some ways from a town with a pool supply, and we've never had this problem. Thanks
    Unless it's a big pool store that deals with a lot of commercial accounts, they probably won't have what you need. Save some gas - go to http://tftestkits.net and order a TF100. You might as well spring for the XL option, too. I heartily endorse the speedstir, too. Testing is faster and more consistent, and more fun. Wherever you are in the US, you'll have it within 5 days. Probably sooner.

And no, I have no financial interest in the company!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!