Filter advice

May 29, 2011
Harleton, Texas
We have an aboveground Intex Pool 20' x 48" pool. We bought it last spring the pump/filter is going out. We have a SWP attached to it. I need suggestions on which pump we should get. Another cartidge or sand filter? Pros. vs Cons? I've had a hard time with my pool this year and now I'm pretty sure it's b/c the pump/filter has been going out! GO figure!

DanielleW said:
We bought it last spring the pump/filter is going out.
Do you have one of the cylindircal intex filters (motor and filter in same housing)? If yes, then I would replace it with something more substantial.

From mas985's writeup in Hydraulics 101:
Which filter is best for you depends on your situation:

Cartridge Filters: Most energy efficient and don't require back-washing. Best suited for areas with water restriction, high electrical rates and/or pools that use a SWG.

Sand Filters: Easiest for algae clean up. Best suited for areas where the pool is closed for the winter and/or high algae potential.

DE Filters: Best filtration. Best suited for owners that really want their water to be as clean as possible.

Many people are having good luck with the intex sand filters. The intex sand 2650 gph sand filter is pretty good and the price is nice.

If you are willing to spend a little more, then look for a >1.9 sq. ft. sand filter or >150 sq. ft. cartridge filter...and preferably a 3/4 to 1 hp 2-speed pump.

Let us know if you want more detailed recommendations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.