Should I backwash my DE filter after shocking?

Kelleyaynn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE
I'm in the midst of shocking my pool for mustard algae. The pressure on my DE pump has not risen at all, and the water never got cloudy, even after brushing. Should I backwash anyway, to try and get rid of as many algae spores and such as possible?

Thanks.

Kelley

I would not. My assumption is that the mustard algae will be killed regardless of whether it is in the filter or the pool. I think the only time to backwash a DE filter is when the pressure goes over the manufacturer's specified level. On my DE filter, even when I backwash there is still a LOT of DE left in the filter. Backwashing does not leave you with a crystal clear set of grids, it will likely still be pretty caked with DE, so even if you backwash you will have a LOT of old DE left in there.

I do not know what the "manufacturer's specified level" is for backwashing ... how can they give a number without knowing your pump, plumbing and head loss?

Just wanted to point out that we recommend backwashing when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure reading. (The old 10psi pressure raise is not a good rule of thumb).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.