Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: green green

1. Back To Top    #1

green green

Ok, so I opened my pool up in West Virginia, we have had a few hot days and my water temp is in the 50's. I have had the filter running for a week and although the water was dirty it was pea soup. So I take the cover off last night and her is green pea soup water and my temp is 55 degrees.
    So I tested the water a few times before last night and had 3-4 ppm FC and the cya was 45. Where did I go wrong. SHould i had started testing water in the winter? I know the routine about keeping the fc at shock level checking twice daily but I didnt expect green water. Any one else have a similar experience? I'm glad it's still cold here at night and is going to dip into the 30's this week. Any ideas how to prevent this next year?
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

There are a number of suggestions for closing procedures that minimize the chances of getting algae over the winter in my pool closing thread. Preventing algae over the winter is never a sure thing unless you are actively adding chlorine all winter (impossible if it freezes).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks for the reply,
    I did all that you said on the pool closing post, except I added poly and let the chlorine drop like poly makes FC drop, then bumped up my FC to shock levels, when I measured the FC in middle of April I have no FC but water was super cold so I added a few jugs of bleach and still got green,,,

So ill keep the FC at shock levels till I get improvement.

Do you add algaecide when you open? I should probably wait till I get the water clear before I add algaecide correct?
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4
    I don't use algaecide at any time except when closing. If you do normally use algaecide it is best to wait till the water is clear before starting it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School