Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Valve for Pentair Quad DE Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Valve for Pentair Quad DE Filter

Question about the 261050 valve. I'm putting in a Quad DE 80 filter and ordered this 261050 valve. Although the box prints "For Triton and Quad DE filters", both the box barcode labels say "261050 - VLV HIFLO 2" SAND". Also, the label on top of the valve, where it shows difference positions also says "FOR SAND FILTER ONLY". The manual also says something like "there are 2 different models, for sand and for DE filters, please make sure to have to correct model of you can cause damage to the pump or drain the pool, etc.". I thought that this valve can be used for both Sand and DE interchangeably and didn't know that there are 2 different models, both with the same part number (261050). The only way I can tell without opening the box is from reading the labels outside of the box where it says "2" SAND" for Sand filter. I called and the dealer says that it should work, but the Pentair manual says that the DE filter must have the DE valve 261050 model. I don't want to install this and probably can't return if it doesn't work. Has anyone gone through this same issue? Please help. Thanks.
    Outdoor all mosaic glass-tiled pool, 19K gallons. No shade.
    Pump: Pentair IntelliFlo, Filter: Pentair Quad DE 80, Heater: Sta-Rite HD400, SWG: Circupool RJ45

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Best Valve for Pentair Quad DE Filter

According to Pentair, with the Quad DE filter you want to use one of the following valves:

261173 1-1/2 in. MPV, for sand filters (SM 10-3) 3
    261047 2 in. PVC Slide valve w/o plumbing, for D.E. & sand filters 7
    261049 2 in. HiFlow valve, no plumbing 11
    261050 2 in. HiFlow w/plumbing, for sand filters 10
    261055 2 in. MPV, for sand filters (SM 20-3) 5
    263064 Push pull valve, 7.5 in. Center 4

If I remember correctly the Quad filter has the plumbing arraignment most commonly associated with sand filters, so it will work with a sand filter main valve.

If it still bothers you, call Pentair tech support. They are fairly good at this kind of question.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School