Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: indoor pool with chronic low pH and high TA please help

1. Back To Top    #1

indoor pool with chronic low pH and high TA please help

I have been fighting with a pool that always drifts acidic. I use chlorine tablets and I added borates hoping it would help. I am constantly adding sodium carbonate to adjust it. The pool is crystal clear, but the ph is always off. My current parameters are:

7.0 pH
    130 TA
    200 Cal. Hardness
    50 Borates

We have to keep the pool covered with a solar cover to retain heat and prevent condensation issues. Any solution to my problem? I keep driving my TA out of range fighting my low pH. I have tried using muriatic acid to blow off the alkalinity but I drove it back up when I brought the pH back to 7.2. I have tried aerating by leaving the pool slide on, but never saw a difference in Alkalinity after several days. I already did a quarter water change once this year. Very frustrated. Please help! Thanks!
    NW Arkansas
    20,000 gal indoor pool
    cartridge filter
    vinyl lining
    1.5 Hp pump, variable flow
    chlorine tablet feeder

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: indoor pool with chronic low pH and high TA please help

Using chlorine tabs/pucks can cause the pH and TA to crash. They are acidic.

What is your CYA level?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Stop using the chlorine tablets. Assuming they are trichlor, they drive pH down. You don't need the CYA they add since your pool is indoors, and it could be high enough to make your chlorine ineffective.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Louisiana

I also have an indoor pool and while my pH does not drop on its own, it does rise VERY SLOWLY now that I am using liquid chlorine (bleach) for chlorination (I use about a quart of acid per year), when I was using trichlor pucks I had similar problems as you are having, but not as bad, as I would have to raise the pH every month or so. My fill water (from a private well) is fairly soft with a CH of about 50 and a pH of around 6.8 the last time I tested it (was about 7.1 a couple of years ago).

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~