Custom colors for Epoxy paint?

Logik

Jun 5, 2012
I am in the process of refurbishing the pool that came with my foreclosure house (lots of work)! I have had my heart set on a cobalt blue paint for the pool and attached spa. I figured they could tint it like they do all other paints. Does anybody have any ideas how to get this accomplished for a reasonable price? Can I just order regular white epoxy paint and have it tinted at a local pain store, order it online...? Someone has to have done this before.

I am just tired of the old basic 5 paint colors that all places sell.

This is the color I was hoping for!
[attachment=0:2xwzoko5]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340735782.454665.jpg[/attachment:2xwzoko5]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340735782.454665.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340735782.454665.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 268
Re: Help with Epoxy paint

Logik said:
I am in the process of refurbishing the pool that came with my foreclosure house (lots of work)! I have had my heart set on a cobalt blue paint for the pool and attached spa. I figured they could tint it like they do all other paints. Does anybody have any ideas how to get this accomplished for a reasonable price? Can I just order regular white epoxy paint and have it tinted at a local pain store, order it online...? Someone has to have done this before.

I am just tired of the old basic 5 paint colors that all places sell.

This is the color I was hoping for!
[attachment=0:2xe367d1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340735782.454665.jpg[/attachment:2xe367d1]

I epoxy coated my garage floor with an epoxy paint kit. I was happy with the base grey that came in the kit, but there was an option to have the paint department tint it to a number of other colors. It was free, just have it tinted like any other paint.

It was a Rust-Oleum kit that I bought at the HD.

HD or Lowes may not do it for you, but if you ordered it though an independent paint shop (Sherwin Williams for example) they might be willing to work with you.

I will say, epoxy paint sets up FAST. You really don't have a huge amount of pot time on it. About a gallon is all I could put down before it was too sticky to use.

-dave

Help with Epoxy paint

You can't just use any epoxy paint as I was told. They have to be designed for pool use because of the chlorine environment. I have called all of my local paint stores already to no avail.

Help with Epoxy paint

Have I posted this question in the right section? Has no one ever used a custom tinted pool paint before? I find that hard to believe. Well I guess I will have to figure it out and post my findings here to help someone else.

Lifeguardpaint.com has epoxy paint in 100 different colors. not any near the color I want.
Sscoatings.com has a paint called poolcoat and they say they can match any color. I will give them a call.

Since epoxy painting a pool is such a temporary patch almost no-one here recommends it and therefore you haven't gotten much response. As long as you're aware that it's probably only going to last a couple of years it's fine to do it but you'd be better served by replastering it.

A gunite pool needs to be replastered every 7-12 years(according to multiple websites) and costs 3,000 dollars. I cant see off hand how it can be the best choice when paint costs 500 and has a warranty of 7 years.

I'm new to pools so if I am missing something please let me know.

Interesting question! Too bad I have no firsthand knowledge on epoxy paint to offer.

I will tell you this, because it holds true for all paints: paint doesn't hide anything, it just changes the color. So if you have pits, or rough spots, any irregularities at all, they'll still show after painting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I plan on doing some mild plaster patching as I do have a few rough areas but it should be looking good after that. Rubberized paints and acrylic paints last a few years at best but good epoxy paints last a minimum of 7 as they have a warranty stating this.

It is still a lot of money, I expect it to cost a minimum of 600 just for paint. I am thinking about just waiting to paint until next year.

Re: Help with Epoxy paint

Logik said:
You can't just use any epoxy paint as I was told. They have to be designed for pool use because of the chlorine environment. I have called all of my local paint stores already to no avail.

I was not sugguesting you use garage floor paint. I was just saying, I know garage floor epoxy can be tinted, so I would assume other epoxy could be tinted.

My suggestion was to go to a local independent paint shop - not a Home Depot / Lowes / Sears. They might not have the paint in stock, but they should be able to order it. And if you go through them, they might be able to tint a white paint to a color of your liking.

As for the paint lasting. When I was a kid, my neighbor had a gunnite pool. I remember him painting it every 4 years or so. Of course I was a kid, so I have no idea what he was using, and if he was painting because the paint had failed, or because he just wanted it to look nice (he was that kind of guy)

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.