Jandy AquaLink PDA

bigfunky

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2012
Wayne, PA
Hi, I am in the final process of negotiating my pool contract and have narrowed it down to the following equipment:

• Jandy AquaPure Salt System
    Jandy DE Filter
    Polaris 380 Vacuum
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump

I want the AquaLink PDA to control the pool / spa functions and all the devices and was wondering the compatibility of everything? I scoured both Jandy's and Pentair's websites and its tough to figure out what is going on. I was also wondering if it didn't make sense to get a Jandy VS pump so it would integrate into the control system better?

I would like to operate the pump at several different speeds based on what is going on in the pool. Low speed for general filtering, next speed up for low spa jets and next speed up for hi spa jets.

Since the 380 comes with a booster pump and I am getting a VS pump would it make sense to get the 360 (no booster pump) and take advantage of the multiple speeds when running the vacuum?

Thanks for all your help, I've learned a tremendous amount of info reading through all the posts on this site.

Will definitely posts pics, etc. once the build gets started.

Welcome to TFP!

The AquaLink system will be able to control all of the equipment you listed. Pentair doesn't officially support using an IntelliFlo with the AquaLink, but Jandy does, so if there are any issues be sure to call Jandy tech support and not Pentair tech support.

Getting a 360 will save electricity.

Would it make sense to get the Jandy VS pump, is there much of a difference between the Jandy and Pentair pumps?

I think I am leaning towards the 360 so I don't have to run another pump, I could just boost the speed when vacuuming to make sure the 360 has enough power to get the pool clean.

Jandy doesn't know how to switch between the different speeds on the Intelliflo. So you'll need to connect the intellicom unit to multiple switches. If all of your switches are needed for lighting and other features, you will have a problem.

Also, there might also be a problem with the SWG. I don't know if it can be controlled by multiple circuits. If it can't, you'll only be able to produce chlorine at one speed.

The PDA will work fine with the Intelliflo. You do not need the Intellicomm.

I have used a PDA/Intelliflo/Polaris 360 combo on my mother in laws pool and if works extremely well.

The cleaner is connected to a dedicated discharge port which is controlled by an Jandy valve and actuator. Whenever the cleaner is required the valve automatically opens and the pump speeds up to just the right speed to run the cleaner.

I have a similar arrangement on my pool however I use an Aqualink/Intelliflo/Poolcleaner combo.

Last question is the AquaLink comes in a 4, 6, and 8 relay configuration. If I want to control the spa and pool light separately, salt generator, pump, vacuum and filter would I need the 6 relay model. I am thinking about getting the PS8 so I have some spares available for other devices, like if I decide to add a booster pump for the cleaner, etc.

I'm not totally sure how the Aquapure works but it is most likely constantly powered on and actuated by a flow switch or alternatively physically wired to the pump relay, Relay nmber 1. Whilst the Intelliflo is also assigned to Relay 1 it is physically wired to a constant power supply and activated by the 2 wire RS485 cable. This leaves Relay 1 free for the salt chlorinator or any other device which needs to be on whenever the pump is on.

Add two separate lights and a cleaner and you are now up to 4 relays. The filter is a stationary device and doesn't need a relay.

Therefore the 4 relay unit will work.

However the advantage of the VS pumps is that you run them at a low speed for a longer period of time to minimise power consumption. At low speeds skimming action is poor so it it then desirable to speed up the pump so that ther skimmer works for one or two time periods every day. Eventhough the VS pump is not physically connected to a relay the Aqualink system requires a relay for every speed utilised.

Therefore I recommend you go for the 6 or 8 relay unit. Also recommend you look at the iAqualink for remote and iphone control.

mcoccia - does the iAqualink interface allow for Intelliflo control like the PDA? After what you've said, I'm thinking about upgrading from my old lcd display.

Also, while researching today, it seems as if the iAqualink is flashed for RS8 by default. Do you know much about this? If so I have a couple more questions because I have an RS6.

The iAqualink upgrade includes the latest Rev R board that will work with the Intelliflo.

Suggest you go with the RS8. If you need to reflash to RS 6 then the new chip plus your existing chip need to be sent to your dealer who then sends this to Zodiac for reflashing. The upgrade process is a pain so if you go this way only buy from a reputable dealer.

If I buy the AquaLink PDA now and want to upgrade to the iAquaLink later can I do it?

My pool equipment will be 50-60 ft from my house and my wifi will not reach out there. Do I need to run an ethernet cable out there when the pool is being built?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can upgrade to an iAqualink at any time. If you are still building I would run both an ethernet cable and a 4 core RS485 cable between the pool equipment and the house. This allows you to place the iAqualink module in the house and also gives maximum flexibility for any future developments.

Yes run the cable now..... I have owned the PDA for a couple of years and replaced it twice (The dog chewed one and the kids dropped one in the pool and left it at the bottom). My next purchase will be the iAqualink to use instead of the PDA and I wish this was available when we replaced ours last time. I have several sleeves buried underground when we build our pool for this very scenario and will be running the CAT5 cable myself when the time comes.

Always a good idea to run a couple of extra PVC sleeves underground to various areas of your pool while it's being built. You never know. The hardest part is remembering where you buried them so make good notes in your plans.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.