Do I need to worry about this?

Kelleyaynn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE
I'm currently in the process of shocking my pool for mustard algae. I've scrubbed just about all the surfaces, but there is an area I'm not sure about. It is around the main drain, in the deep end of the pool. There is a large area of brown stains that I can't scrub away, and they don't look that much different than the mustard algae on the side of the pool. However, the main drain gets a fair amount of sun, so I'm thinking they really might be stains. The only way I can get to the spots is with the pool brush because it is in the deepest part of the pool. Using the pool brush, nothing brushes away in that area. However, it is also the farthest spot I have to reach with the brush, and I may not be able to give a scrub good enough to dislodge any algae. I'm posting two pictures of the spots, though they aren't that great. It is breezy today, so the rippling water surface impedes the view.

dsc0325w.jpg

dsc0326ru.jpg

Should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Kelley

Not sure what your stains are.....I will leave that to the forum experts. But I had an area around my drain that looked a bit similar. I had to dive down & scrub it pretty good w/ a brush to get rid of it. Just brushing by standing alongside the pool did not give me enough leverage. Once I had it removed and kept my pool at the right adjustings.........it has not come back......so I assume it was some kind of algae (as I was in the process of switching over to BBB and had a moderate algae issue.

Simply a guess but the stain looks organic. It may get removed with a vigorous brushing by diving down to it or it may take several of those with your chlorine help up high to help kill the stain. Again, just a guess.

Hold a trichlor puck firmly down on the stain and see if that lightens it.

I don't have any pucks (just gave them away on Freecycle because I was doing BBB!). Tomorrow I'll try to dive down to do some scrubbing, but I'm not sure that will be feasible; it's in the deepest part of the pool, and I can't dive down easily and stay there long enough to scrub. But we'll see. I may just have to hope for the best. Some of them at least might be plaster patch. There are several patches around the pool that look very similar in color. But probably not all of the spots.....

Kelley

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.