Return line keeps coming off.

May 6, 2012
I recently upgraded to a sand filter on my intex pool (above ground 15' diameter) and a new pump. I am using flexible hose 1 1/2" hose with clamps on the end (the kind you use a screw driver to tighten down). I have come home from work a few times over the last few weeks to find the hose that returns the water back to my pool laying on the ground, having come unattached from the pool.

I can't tighten the clamp down much more, so it isn't a 'loose' issue.

Thoughts on what is causing this and what I can do to resolve it? I understand it is probably a pressure over time issue, but it is very frustrating to see other people using all of this with no problems. Is hard plumbling my only option?

Until last year I had an Intex. Mine had plastic bushings that went inside the rubber fittings on the pool wall to stiffen them up so you could put the hose clamps on. We bought that pool in 2006 though so I don't know if yours is the same style or not. If it is, are you missing the bushing? Can you post a picture? An option might be a wrap or two of rubber repair tape to make the fitting on the pool larger.

crokett said:
Until last year I had an Intex. Mine had plastic bushings that went inside the rubber fittings on the pool wall to stiffen them up so you could put the hose clamps on. We bought that pool in 2006 though so I don't know if yours is the same style or not. If it is, are you missing the bushing? Can you post a picture? An option might be a wrap or two of rubber repair tape to make the fitting on the pool larger.

When I upgraded the pump and filter those fittings were replaced with these new fittings these and then I have these for the flexible hoses to connect to. The hose is coming off the 2nd piece. I even trimmed off the 1 1/4 part of it in case it was part of the problem.

Hmm.. then I would try the rubber repair tape. You should be able to find it at Home Depot or Lowes in the plumbing department. that is the 5 minute fix. Hard pipe will also fix it, but that would cost more and be an actual project. Another option is replace the hose, you might find one with a slightly smaller ID.

so would the rubber repair tape help it from sliding off? It is already fairly tight going onto the fitting. I don't see how a smaller hose would solve anything, seems to me like it would make the problem worse.

I just took a look at the parts that you are using. Why are you using a 1-1/2" to 1-1/4 adapter ? This will restrict your flow and is part of the problem of the hose falling off. I would get a new part pipe thread to 1-1/2" hose connector. If you restrict the flow with a 1-1/4" adapter it is the same as having 1-1/4" lines.

That was my initial thought about the flow getting restricted down, so I cut the 1-1/4 part off a week ago, and I am still having the same issue. I am currently using a nut driver, I guess it is time to break out the socket and see if I can get it tighter. And yes my pool store only sold the 1-1/2 and 1-1/4 adapter. I have since cut all the 1-1/4 parts off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.