Pool Professionals

Freelancer said:
...boric acid (now banned in Europe)... Of course now that the Borates have gone the task is going to be a little more difficult but manageable nonetheless.
Yes, the Commission Decision 2008/809/EC excluded boric acid from Annex I, IA, IB for product type 2 (and most other product types as well) which includes use in swimming pools. It is only approved for product type 8 which is as a wood preservative. This PDF file gives details about their concern. It was mostly the concern on the effects on fertility that led to its ban, but only the high daily ingested dose of 58.8 mg boron/kg bw/day led to infertility. The EPA had already seen such studies in their evaluation and is why with a standard factor of 100 safety margin they allow boric acid to be used in pools up to 50 ppm dosing. Boron is in food so the body uses what it needs and is able to remove the rest up to a point; it does not bio-accumulate at low-to-moderate doses. So it's unfortunate that Europe decided to ban it completely rather than simply limit its concentration in specific uses. Perhaps they could reconsider in the future.

Richard, I am not holding my breath on Europe reversing their decision for use of Borates in Swimming pools.. Yet again another fine example of Europe making a decision and completely over reacting based upon ignorance and lack of understanding. It is a real shame as I firmly believe Borates closely monitored and correctly administered did far more good than harm. Mmm I wonder if they did a study on 50PPM of chlorine in a pool without any CYA would they then ban chlorine, or 25 litres of acid in a 25,000 litre pool,would they then ban acid and list goes on. Put too much of nearly any chemical into a pool and it will be harmful to humans, so why target borates?

I remember once I had a white substance which brushed off the walls of a pool, it was in perfect balance, 275PPM of calcium, all grout rock hard and intact, no salt other than from the chlorine and for the life of me I could not get rid of it, 25Kg of boric acid (35PPM) and within a week no more white substance, to this day I still have no idea what it was.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.