I bought a house with a pool in April. I'm a total newbie, but realized quickly that the water chemistry was a mess (FC 0, TA 10, pH 5, CYA 150, and copper stains everywhere; Copper levels at 0.9ppm). Two weeks ago, I had the water balanced (mostly, the CYA was still high at 110), so I brought the FC down to zero and did an ascorbic acid treatment to remove the Copper stains (followed by addition of sequestrant). This worked great, but because of the high CYA, I didn't get my FC up high enough and on Saturday, I noticed algae growing on the ladder and on a spot on the wall. The water looked a bit cloudy, but just a little bit. The pool is a 33,000 gallon vinyl liner pool.
After reading up in pool school, I began treating the algae on Sunday. I added 4 182oz bottles of clorox bleach (3 in the afternoon and 1 in the evening). The water instantly turned cloudy. I tested the water on Monday morning.
CC - 1.7
CH - 197
TA - 85
adjusted alkalinity - 40
I added 6 more bottles of bleach - 3 in the morning, 3 in the evening to bring the FC to 32 at sundown. I also added ~15 lbs of NaBicarbonate to bring the adjusted alkalinity up.
FC - 30
TA - 120
After testing, I added more bleach to bring the FC up to 39 (the suggested shock value for a CYA level of 100).
My water looks like skim milk. I hope this is just dead algae, but I'm worried since I have don't have a clue what I'm doing. Can someone with a little more experience tell me if I am on the right track. I hope I haven't done something horrible by adding 12 huge bottles of regular clorox to a pool that was just treated for copper. Is there anything that will accelerate the clearing of milky water, or should I just be patient and let the filter work? How long should it take? Thanks for any info!