Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water lines and electrical conduit in same trench

1. Back To Top    #1

Water lines and electrical conduit in same trench

I have searched for a solid answer to this question on this forum and google but can not find a good enough answer. Can I run my electrical conduit in the same trench as my PVC around the pool for the pool light and a pergola 8 fr from the pool? I could not find anything in local code about this. Should the electrical be a few inches on top of the PVC separated by dirt or can they lay side by side ?

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water lines and electrical conduit in same trench

While it's a good idea to separate them a few inches they can be in the same trench. I'd lay marking tape about 6" to 8" above them to let people know that there's electrical ran in there too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Water lines and electrical conduit in same trench

Requirements per the NEC 2005:

• Electrical lines can be placed in the same trench as the water line with the electrical line placed above the water line with a twelve (12) inch earth separation.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

4. Back To Top    #4

Water lines and electrical conduit in same trench

Thanks Bama and Steve!

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves