Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my pump dead?

1. Back To Top    #1

Kansas City, MO

Is my pump dead?

I woke up yesterday for work and my pump wasn't running. I didn't have time to mess with it then. When I got home I noticed there was no air in the basket and the motor was VERY hot. I flipped the breaker off (should have checked it that morning, assumed it tripped overnight) and let it cool down. Hours later I reprimed, flipped the switch and nothing. I woke up early this AM and tried again, nothing. It hums very lightly, but that's it.
    I was at the end of shocking, now my pool is starting to get all cloudy again
    So, what do you think? Is my pump dead? It's a Hayward Super Pump FWIW
    To top it off, my AC died yesterday too. Awesome timing for all of this, supposed to be 95-102 all through Friday

Edit: Is there anything I can do to help keep the water in at least decent condition without the pump?
    15k gallon IG kidney pool with attached spa
    sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Toms River, NJ

Re: Is my pump dead?

Look to make sure the impeller isn't jammed with debris. Then, with the motor unplugged, see if you can rotate the shaft by hand. It may be that the wet end is just gunked up with something.
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Huntington, IN

Re: Is my pump dead?

I had the same thing happen with my Hayward pump a couple years was quite old. I ended up finding an electric motor shop that agreed to look at it for a small fee. With mine they said that the motor was shot. They replaced the old motor with a new A.O. Smith motor, and reattached it to the pump spindle and housing. All for way less than a new pump from the pool store. They were able to do this in a day or two. As for keeping the water in decent condition, I was told to add bleach right to the water, then brush the pool to stir it a bit. Good luck!
    1970's kidney shaped pool. 23,000 gallons with concrete bottom and fiberglass walls, both painted in 2012 with epoxy paint. Single speed "energy efficient" 1 hp hayward super pump and hayward S-200 sand filter. Main drain leaks, and is thus disconnected. 16 mil ultraclear solar cover. Located in Northern Indiana. TF-100 Test Kit