Leaky Hoses

LMagee

Jun 26, 2012
Hi there,

Newbie here led to this forum while searching for a solution to my leaky hoses.

My pool was down for the winter as I needed to drain and replace the liner.

As I've now replaced the liner and am refilling pool to begin use, I can't seem to the the hoses from the pool to the pump to stop leaking. All is on secure and clamps are tight, but hoses are still leaking.

What should I purchase/use/do to stop the leaking?

TIA!

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm sorry for the delay but I didn't have pics of what I'm dealing with and I did attack it yesterday evening with renewed energy and thought I'd solved the leak issue but now have a new and improved issue.

First of all, I honestly don't know what brand of pool it is as it "came with my home" purchased 4 years ago. It is an above ground, 28ft round, 52" high pool. It has a Pentair Sand Dollar pump.

The pool has ran like a champ until last summer when I began getting leaks in the liner. Since the pool was more than 4 years old, I made the decision late last summer to drain and replace liner this summer.

Move forward to now - Pool liner replaced, pumps reconnected. Saturday hose from pump to intake jet were leaky. I tightened clamps and minimized leaking for kids swimming. During the day, a couple of kids pushed a pool noodle against jet and of course, the pressure forced the hose to blow off intake jet and had to stop pump and reattach. Since then, hose has not stopped leaking.

Last night I replaced the hose (thinking it might be stretched as it was not replaced last year). Used silicone tape around hose and hose barb, then attached and tights two clamps. Hose we back to operational and not leaking (YAY!)

Now to current issue - Pump seemed to be running at a higher psi than normal (I normally see it run efficiently between 20-30 psi and it was running at 40 psi last night. However, I called my dad, who also has an above ground pool and he said it was probably ok.

I wanted to let the pump run all night to clear the water and because I hadn't ran pump until I repaired leaky hose. This morning, the hose to the intake jet had blown off (from pressure I'm assuming), of course, running many gallons of water on to ground and thankfully, it didn't burn the pump up.

This hose situation is hugely frustrating. I'm considering previous suggestion of hard plumbing - any other suggestion. Also, attaching images of hose and intake valve and pump itself for reference. Sorry to the less than stellar quality photos.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 59
Hard plumbing that would be easy. Those hose fittings will unscrew from the wall return fitting and the multiport valve. You can then thread a new threaded PVC adapter into each and run PVC piping between the two.

One problem is that if the pressure gauge isn't broken (I suspect that it is) your filter pressure is way too high.
I have the same setup and my filter pressure runs about 11 psi.

What size eyeball do you have in the return?
When was the last time you backwashed the filter?

Thanks! The more I think on this, the more I think hard plumbing is definitely the way to go and save future hassle!

I was VERY concerned that the pressure was too high regardless of the gauge being broken or not, it seems to be a lot of pressure going through the hose.

I'm not 100% sure of the eyeball size on the return, I'd have to look but it seems pretty standard to what I've seen elsewhere.

Backwashed last night before calling it a day and ran it clear.

Thanks to everyone for the quick advice! Tonight I converted that pesky hose to hard plumbing and it is already working like a charm! I'm really proud of myself for doing this on my own but couldn't have done it without the guidance from this forum! Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.