Advice/ideas needed for AGP modifications- crazy welcomed

Nunlef

Jun 22, 2012
Hi,
Brief intro - I want a pool. We moved to a new house this year so we could have a yard big enough for a pool. Now we have 5 wide open acres, but not enough money for our 60k pool (from PB estimates given last year). I did an estimate and build schedule for an OB gunite, 36k, still not doable for another 2 years. Patience really isn't my thing, my husband and I went from first date to 3 kids in less than 4 years ;). We also prefer cash for "fun stuf", I have a feeling we won't see that kind of cash until our youngest graduates from college in 20 years ;)

Anyway, that brings us to the present. I have decided on a (roughly) 20x40 oval above ground. This will have a 6' deep end (deeper if I can find the liner), and will be buried in the ground to 1' from the top. (yes, I have read and researched for several weeks, I have evaluated opinions from pool professionals, and have recalled my own experiences with construction-from commercial fishing vessels to single family homes. I have had recent soil assessments done, and have excavated this land to several feet). Also, we figure $6k for 6 years of use is reasonable for our use/needs (not including decking/landscaping)

We will have (roughly) 1200sf of "flagstone look" concrete patio/decking, and will be going saltwater.

Ok, sorry for being long winded, but I thought I would get the basics out of the way since this is my first post.

I am looking for advice on crazy, fun, unique modifications. I.e, steps installed under the liner, deck jets, fancy lighting options, heaters, plumbing configurations, swimouts, combining 3 pools to make a full blown water park (JK), you get the idea.

This is an owner build, we expect to have between 1k and 2k for crazy upgrades, they need to have been done before, but they don't need to have been done by you ;), as long as you promise you have seen them.

I really appreciate this site and all the helpful hints I've gleaned from the members here. I am SO excited to hear all your great suggestions.

Re: Advice/ideas needed for AGP modifications- crazy welcome

woodyp said:
Small kiddos and a 6 ft. deep end = slide to me. Or a rope swing!
Rope swing sounds like a blast! Slides are always awesome, what about a separate pump for the water slide and some configuration where it's possible to have massive amounts of water flowing down it. (how they do at the water parks)

My pool has a flux capacitor. Good luck finding one of those. :mrgreen:

Just kidding. Welcome! I have no suggestions but look forward to your build pics. Which, bye the way, you are obligated to post now that you have mentioned getting a pool. :-D

You should read Pool School and What is BBB before you decide on chemicals. Might save you some money and time. Just a suggestion.

My wife told me that if I could build a lazy river around the perimiter of the yard, that would be awesome.

I wonder if you could use one of those endless pool things to make a sort of whirlpool effect.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Have you budgeted for.....

New patio furniture?
Umbrella's and umbrella stands?
Floats and toys for the pool?
Fire pit or equivalent?
Mosquito control?
New grill?
Basketball goal to set on new deck for shallow end of pool?
New towels, loads of sunscreen, goggle, hats, cover-ups?

I too second keeping whole pool one depth and adding a volleyball setup, on 20x40 it will be perfect! It's not like you'll have a diving board anyways....unless you'd be diving off the deck....

I thought of something, but it won't blow your budget. :) Get everyone some fins! (flippers) When I was younger we had a few sets. Of course everyone probably needs their own. But in a large pool it can be a lot of fun. I'm debating about getting some even though in my pool I would have to swim in circles since the flippers allow you to move pretty fast.

If you buy the correct liner, you can do deep "hoppers" and the liner will just stretch down into it. You could make an oval with a deep center and shallow (4 ft) ends

I am in the process of building a jump deck for my AG. This way the kids can jump into the pool without standing on the top seats.

Thanks for so many great suggestions. Sorry I didn't respond to everyone sooner, but I had to take a "quick" 6 hour trip to the beach because my son was feeling homesick - apparently, it was a short term illness, because I'm back home, and he is boogie boarding with his cousin ;)

There were a lot of great suggestions, how am I going to decide. Oh, I should probably add this little story since a lot of the suggestions SEEM like a good idea;
me, my sisters, and a few good friends all had boys born the same summer (crazy, I know)- that equals 6 boys (currently 10yo) that are all athletic, 5 are very smart, and 3 are utterly fearless. We have to be VERY CAREFUL with the options we present to them. my son and 2 cousins figured out a way to send "uncomfortable" yet relatively harmless electrical currents through damp beach chairs 2 months ago. They were all still 9 at the time. You would think all the great fun things they learn in Cub Scouts would help them grow to be inventive and thoughtful. Well, they certainly think a lot, and they are good at inventing...... Point is, we want to have loads of fun in our own backyard, but it's a full time job staying a step ahead of kids with ADD and genius IQ's :mrgreen:

I need to google splash pads, I haven't heard that term before.

1380ken said:
You should look at do it yourself steel walled inground pools.
I did look at these, but the vermiculite bottom is above my ability, and contracting out would cause us to go over what we wanted to spend. I do all labor by myself, the husband will hold things for me here and there, but I don't like causing him extra work.

woodyp said:
Small kiddos and a 6 ft. deep end = slide to me. Or a rope swing!

The rope swing sounds like an ER visit waiting to happen, but a slide is a Definite!! I already found one, and have matched it's specs to our decking plan ;). Thanks!

Speedo said:
Rope swing sounds like a blast! Slides are always awesome, what about a separate pump for the water slide and some configuration where it's possible to have massive amounts of water flowing down it. (how they do at the water parks)
That is a good idea. I could just make my own slide, and operate a separate reservoir and pump for it.

Glock said:
My pool has a flux capacitor. Good luck finding one of those.

Just kidding. Welcome! I have no suggestions but look forward to your build pics. Which, bye the way, you are obligated to post now that you have mentioned getting a pool.

You should read Pool School and What is BBB before you decide on chemicals. Might save you some money and time. Just a suggestion.
THanks, actually my husband's friend does have a modified delorean (sp?), I wonder if he has one of those ;) I am trying out the BBB on our little intex (15' metal frame), seems to be doing good after 4 weeks. I will definitely be going saltwater in a perm. pool, so ill have to see how much crossover applications exist for the 2 methods.

phonedave said:
My wife told me that if I could build a lazy river around the perimiter of the yard, that would be awesome.

I wonder if you could use one of those endless pool things to make a sort of whirlpool effect.

-dave
I already asked my husband about a lazy river, essentially using geometry to locate returns/inlets in the contours of the "river" to gently guide us. He vetoed that. It needs to look moderately "fancy" and the decking for a lazy river would likely come in a t about 10K for a modest amount of concrete. Obviously a good suggestion, though - one of my first ideas

X-PertPool said:
"Sport pool" design is the most useful for parties I think. It lets you play volley ball etc.

I am thinking about the sport pool design, it is tempting but unusual in this area. I like the volleyball idea since half the reason would be for kids to have something to do.

harleysilo said:
Have you budgeted for.....

New patio furniture?
Umbrella's and umbrella stands?
Floats and toys for the pool?
Fire pit or equivalent?
Mosquito control?
New grill?
Basketball goal to set on new deck for shallow end of pool?
New towels, loads of sunscreen, goggle, hats, cover-ups?

I too second keeping whole pool one depth and adding a volleyball setup, on 20x40 it will be perfect! It's not like you'll have a diving board anyways....unless you'd be diving off the deck....
We consider all of those things a given. The grill will be a stone built in, we already have the furniture, we have everything else "toy, towel" related because my sister has a traditional unite pool 6 miles away. we would just have to bring all our stuff home ;)

Speedo said:
I thought of something, but it won't blow your budget. Get everyone some fins! (flippers) When I was younger we had a few sets. Of course everyone probably needs their own. But in a large pool it can be a lot of fun. I'm debating about getting some even though in my pool I would have to swim in circles since the flippers allow you to move pretty fast.

We have full blown snorkel gear. All of us LOVE IT. It is loads of fun, and one of the reasons we restricted ourselves to something at least 40' long

techguy said:
If you buy the correct liner, you can do deep "hoppers" and the liner will just stretch down into it. You could make an oval with a deep center and shallow (4 ft) ends

I am in the process of building a jump deck for my AG. This way the kids can jump into the pool without standing on the top seats.

We are committed to an area that would be at least 6' deep. I have seen some that go to 7' (even better), but I can only find that depth through Doughboy. I think if I put a block up, the kids would be tempted to dive. Ours would be sunk 40" deep, and the decking would be raised to flush with the top rail.

THanks so much everyone, I'm still listening if you have any more great suggestions. This forum has helped so much with deck jet, bubbler, waterfall ideas. I never thought any of that stuff would be possible with anything under 100k ;)

My understanding is is you can use an expandable Doughboy liner in any pool... don't know about warranty. You just need to install it as an overlap liner.

JasonLion said:
Take a look at splash pads. They are lots of fun.
O-M-G !!! You are a genius! We go to a couple of campgrounds that have that kind of setup in the kiddie end, don't tell anyone, but even my husband likes it (I know because the second we get to the pool, he'll suggest the kids go to that area, and then offers to watch them.

I was fooling with the overall layout tonight, and if I turn the pool the best way, I will have a somewhat useless 100sf triangle. Well NOW I know what to do with it. The decking will be concrete anyway, and I would pitch it toward the pool for drainage.

Holy cow! This opens up a whole new area for experimenting! Thank you!

Luckily, my husband gave up trying to make me a reasonable person a few years ago ;)

Posting so I don't lose track of this thread, and reminding you to post a ton of pics! Sounds like an awesome project.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.