other chemicals - harmful or just a waste of money?

neen01

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 13, 2012
NJ
After being on here the last week I found out that our shock adds calcium and the chlorine tabs add cya.

Are these harmful, useful, or neither/do nothing....

algeacide - 60% liquid polyquat?

stain and scale products?

nature2 filter?

I am planning on using the methods on here so just setting up for the future on what we used to use compared to what we will use going forward.

If you haven't read "Pool School" at the top of the page its a wealth of info. Get a good test kit, I have the TF100. For my setup I don't use any of the products you list. Once the water is balanced and monitored by you, pool life gets much easier.

I saw that they aren't part of the basics but just wondering if they were ever used (special situation, open/close) or if not, if there is a specific reason to their absence like the added ingredients in the shock and chlorine tabs.

neen01 said:
After being on here the last week I found out that our shock adds calcium and the chlorine tabs add cya.
Are these harmful, useful, or neither/do nothing....
Both! If you need calcium it's helpful. If your CH is too high it's harmful. Same thing with CYA.

algeacide - 60% liquid polyquat?
There's very rarely a need for it at all. But if you have to have it for some rare situation then that's the one.

stain and scale products?
Only need it if you have scaling and then you need to investigate which product to use.

nature2 filter?
Don't use it.

I am planning on using the methods on here so just setting up for the future on what we used to use compared to what we will use going forward.
If you're going to manually chlorinate your pool you should use bleach. You may or may not need acid or borax. I'd wait till after running the pool a while and then you'll know what you need to have on hand.

Polyquat algaecide is recommended for a few special situations, like winterizing and AA treatments.

Some stain and scale products are good when you have those specific problems.

We never recommend using Nature2.

ok great! - im going to try to get rid of the other stuff i wont be using but ill hang onto the algaecide we have for the winter and i wont buy the nature2 cartridge next year

I've occasionally used cal-hypo; just keep an eye on your calcium. I haven't used that, though, for well over a year; decided liquid chlorine was much easier. Since I have a sand filter and backwash, I do use the tabs, but sparingly (about 3 every couple of months during swim season.) This is to keep my CYA up. I use polyquat occasionally during our summer monsoon season when the water gets to be about 90 degrees, and also during opening and closing. Liquid chlorine is my main source of chlorination, and I have found it to be extremely easy. Normally, the only other thing I have to add is about a cup or so of muriatic acid every week or two, as the TA and pH of the tap water is rather high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.