Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Quote Originally Posted by tedinelkgrove
    Does it matter if it is "tech" grade boric acid? Powder or granular?
    My experience with powder is documented here.

Other than that no problems. I ordered it through Duda Diesel off eBay, which seemed competitive with the other on line choices.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

Thanks. I must have been reading your mind...I ordered 40lbs of granular boric acid from dudadiesel on ebay.
    ~15000 gallon inground, plaster pool
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner
    Leslie's DPD Complete Test Kit, TF Tests FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit
    Heliocol solar pool heating (HC-40 x6)

FYI, dudadiesel is much cheaper if you buy directly from their website (www.dudadiesel.com) as they aren't paying ebay fees.
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

Target has 20 Mule on sale 2.99. Just picked up 15 boxes and ready to go for it this weekend

My pool was completed last week, and I did the deal yesterday! You should have seen my wife's and teenage daughter's faces and heard their comments as I poured the Muriatic acid & 20 Mule Team Borax in! Talk about a clean smell! I cleaned out both Walmarts in the area!

Is there anything better to measure my levels with? I can't stand the dip strips which I currently have. It just too hard to figure out what color it is and what level it correlates with. The range is just too great for my liking. Is there a liquid drop test available with a readily apparent change in color?

Thanks,
    Dennis
    15,000 gallons in-ground kidney shaped, 15' x 30' Vinyl liner 3.5' to 6.5' deep
    1 ½ hp Pentair Challenger pump w/ Intermatic timer (220V)
    Pentair Sand Dollar Top-Mount Sand filter SD-60
    Pool construction began 3/15/10. Finished 4/03/10.
    BBB Method with Salt (No SWG, possibly next year)
    TFTestkits TF-100 XL & Lamotte Borate test strips
    Add borax to improve feel & prevent algae
    The Pool Calculator

IDK about a drop test - but can your wife and daughter cast a vote on color matching? Perhaps a consensus...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    IDK about a drop test - but can your wife and daughter cast a vote on color matching? Perhaps a consensus...
    LOL! Good suggestion!
    The Pool Calculator

Fortunately it isn't important to hit the borate level exactly. Anything from around 30 to around 80 is alright. If you aim for 50, I doubt you will be far enough off to get out of that range.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Fortunately it isn't important to hit the borate level exactly. Anything from around 30 to around 80 is alright. If you aim for 50, I doubt you will be far enough off to get out of that range.
    Thanks, JasonLion! That's good to know. It's like playing horseshoes!

-Dennis
    The Pool Calculator

I had a hard time getting my ph to rise, I needed about 5-7 boxes of borax and areated. Do I need to test my borate level?
    IG
    Vinyl

sorry I am a bit confused, When adding borates to the water(borox) you say to add Boric Acid with it which i understand. But then one post says he Added MA when he did his. Are boric acid and muriatic acid the same thing...
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

To add borates to the pool, you either add Borax AND Muriatic Acid (added separately) or you just add Boric Acid. Borax is a base so will raise the pH while boric acid is only slightly acidic so just somewhat lowers the pH, but even at 50 ppm it's like lowering from 7.5 to 7.2 so can be easily adjusted with some aeration or a small amount of Borax.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Thanks chem, now I understand it.. I am thinking about doing it.
    thanks again for explaining that.
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

Quote Originally Posted by blue pool
    I had a hard time getting my ph to rise, I needed about 5-7 boxes of borax and areated. Do I need to test my borate level?
    Not really - that amount of Borax would only have raised your Borate level by 10-15.
    (you can determine this by using the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" section of the Pool Calculator. )
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

I would like to raise my borate level from 30 to 50 and my numbers are very good except for TA of 60. My PH is 7.3/4 and steady.
    I found PIC Roach Killer at Walgreens for 2.99/lb, ingredients are Orthoboric acid 99%. Is this OK to use?
    24000gal IG, VL, 1.5 HP, Pentair 60/60D Sand 325#, BBB, Liquidator, Polaris 360

Yes, that's fine to use. Orthoboric acid is a synonym for Boric Acid. Just in case there is something odd in that remaining 1%, try adding some to a bucket of pool water to see that nothing strange happens (I doubt it).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned adding something called "soft touch conditioner". Is this something that can be used in place of the borax 20 mule/acid? I assume this doesn't change the PH when added?

If this can be used, how to you calculate how much to add?

I found some in a pool store not far from me called "soft touch conditioner", and for directions, it just said add 2kg/10,000 liters of water, but didn't mention anything about how much in ppm this adds.
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

check the label for the active ingredient...report back and we'll be able to assist
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

This is all I could find (I might go down to the store later if I can and read the whole label);

http://www.cheaphottubchemicals.com/Pag ... _Touch.htm

Apparently this is what the store is selling.
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

They compare it to Proteam Supreme, which is like Borax and requires acid, and to BioGuard Optimizer Plus, which used to be borax but is apparently now boric acid and doesn't require acid, so it's hard to know which this is. You'll have to look at the label to see if the instructions say it requires any addition of acid to compensate for pH.