So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Status
Not open for further replies.
Borates don't lower the CSI (not significantly). What they do is increase TA somewhat where 50 ppm Borates at pH 7.5 contributes 5 ppm to TA. So what you are seeing in The Pool Calculator if you aren't changing the TA is the effect of lowering the TA after Borates are added. If you instead increased TA by 5 ppm when adding 50 ppm Borates, then that would not change the CSI (at pH 7.5).

chem geek said:
If you instead increased TA by 5 ppm when adding 50 ppm Borates, then that would not change the CSI (at pH 7.5).
I think I am seeing what you are saying...if you add 50 ppm Borates, then in practice your TA will also go up (I missed this) by 5 ppm? Am I understanding this correctly?

After reading this post I would like to take advantage of adding borates but I have one concern, last year my 1 1/2 year old daughter loved her swim time but she also constantly like to drink the pool water, no idea if she will continue to do this but I have a feeling this year might still be the same. I know article states dogs but can this be also harmfull to kids? now I am actually worried even without the borates I should keep her out of the pool if she drinks the water like last year. She is still not really communicating and she definitely does not listen to 'no'.

Whew, I just read this entire thread in one shot. Amazing amount of great info, though I was hoping for some more "after" pictures! :) I have decided to add borates very soon, after I hit my 30 day mark on the new plaster. My pool is extremely clear and blue, but I can still see a bit of particulate matter in front of my light when it's dark out and the water is still. I'm guessing it's from the daily brushing I've been doing and I hope it will eventually go away. I've been very diligent with keeping everything in check, but thanks to you guys, I've become pretty obsessed with my water quality. I think the borates will have a significant positive impact on the look and feel of my water. I was pleased to hear that some owners who already felt that their water was clear and sparkly were shocked by the difference borates made for them. I'm also having trouble keeping my pH down since my plaster is new and I have a rainfall descent running all day. Jason and Richard, you guys are legendary. Thanks for the information guys!

Jose

Z06Boricua said:
I was pleased to hear that some owners who already felt that their water was clear and sparkly were shocked by the difference borates made for them. I'm also having trouble keeping my pH down since my plaster is new and I have a rainfall descent running all day.
How new is your plaster? Do not add borates if it is less than 30 days old.

New plaster will require frequent (probably daily) additions of MA for awhile.

Water clarity can be achieved without borates. My pool was just as clear without borates as it is now with borates. If you are having trouble, start a thread and post your test numbers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
Z06Boricua said:
I was pleased to hear that some owners who already felt that their water was clear and sparkly were shocked by the difference borates made for them. I'm also having trouble keeping my pH down since my plaster is new and I have a rainfall descent running all day.
How new is your plaster? Do not add borates if it is less than 30 days old.

New plaster will require frequent (probably daily) additions of MA for awhile.

Water clarity can be achieved without borates. My pool was just as clear without borates as it is now with borates. If you are having trouble, start a thread and post your test numbers.

Hi linen! This Monday will be 30 days for my plaster. Don't worry, I won't be adding borates in the next few days. It'll be in the next few weeks most likely. I know I can get it clear without borates, but that's not the only reason why I want to add them. I prefer the softer feel and the (hopefully) extra sparkle would be nice, not to mention the algae insurance it provides. I just see a lot of benefits with no real risk as I don't have dogs. I'm not having any trouble yet, my numbers are all pretty much in line right now. The only thing I need to bring up is my CH as I'm at like 180 right now. My plan was to get past my 30 day mark and post my numbers in a thread to see what you guys thought, but I'm not quite there yet. :)

Jose

linen said:
Sounds like your on top of it Jose :goodjob:

I'm trying! I must say though, the amount of knowledge I've gained on this site in such a short amount of time is astounding. It's easy to see why everyone here donates, and I will be joining those ranks soon enough. I guess I've been spoiled by you all. I've never set foot in a pool store before, and I doubt I ever will. It's one thing to be shafted by pool stores and then seeing the BBB light, but it's much nicer to be a total newb that is lucky enough to be born into it. :)

Jose

Ok, so I plan on adding borates to my pool today. I have about 5,000 gallons of water and by my calculations I need 300 oz by weight of Borax and 150 fl. oz. of muriatic acid to neutralize the ph. Here are my current test results:

TA- 70
PH- 7.5
FC- 5
Temp-85

Does everything look good to go ahead with the borates?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.