pH question

Ted Y

May 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
My fill water TA from the city is high, about 130 to 140 when I tested it. My pH also drifts up and I am regularly adding acid to lower it. The jets are pointed up so as to disrupt the surface and the Barracuda makes the surface choppy as well because the hose shakes as well.

The TA has dropped due to the acid to 90. Should I change the jets? Am I going to have to by acid all the time our is there a way to stabilize the pH?

It could go either way, depending on how frequently you are adding additional water. In arid regions with high TA fill water you often end up needing to add acid frequently. In those conditions it is nice to get an automatic acid feed system. However, if you aren't adding too much extra water, it is possible to get the TA down to the point where the PH stops going up, and then only add more acid when you top off the pool.

Borates will help, but not eliminate the problem. Basically, borates will allow you to add twice as much acid half as often. Total acid usage will be the same, you just won't have to add it as often.

By the by, you can't actually be losing an inch or more of water to evaporation per day. The world record is somewhere around half an inch per day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.