Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Estimate cost of solar

1. Back To Top    #1

Estimate cost of solar

We are looking to put a new IG Vinly pool, probably about 18x36 or so. I have a covered porch that is about 40 feet long and lots of black roof. I am still in the planning stages and wonder what panels would cost? If not right away for the future (if may decide where my equipment goes). Do you have to remove them in the winter, or just drain them? I will not have any waterfalls or fountains, and probably would go with a 3/4 hp pump, but would I need more to get me up the roofline (12-14')?

Any other considerations or 'ah ha' after you installed yours would be welcome.
    TN/KY area and looking to build a IG vinyl pool by summer of 2013. Starting the bid and planning stage.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Estimate cost of solar

My pool is similar in size. I have 192 square ft of panel and have about $1200 in the system. It is enough panel to easily maintain the pool in the upper 80s most of the season. No automation.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

You can often find used panels/systems on craigslist. At least here you can.

Much cheaper than paying a company 3-4 grand to install a system.

My 500 sqft setup is probably going to end up around $1200.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Savannah, GA

I did my own solar install (see tag at bottom for panel type) for just under 2k. We leave them up all year. You do have to drain them before the first freeze so they do not freeze up and burst, but if set up vertically, this is easily done by leaving the diverter valve open for about 10-15 min. Basically long enough to drain the panels. Also, consider getting a variable speed pump as we have discovered that having the vs capability allows us to better dial in the proper flow rate and is especially useful as the pool filters get dirty with use and the flow per rpm decreases.
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.