Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: The Solar Heater Is In

The Solar Heater Is In

2 2'x20' panels. I hooked them up yesterday and tested today. I was skeptical but they do make a difference, the water was a few degrees warmer this evening. The mounting kit was sold as a ground/roof kit. However I discovered Saturday that it is a 'ground kit' provided you have something to mount the brackets too. So I framed and decked a 'roof'. I will take it apart in the fall and come spring when I do the real deck will put it up there as a roof for the panels.

I don't know why the ripples are there, I think it is because the sections get turned to lock together. I hoped they'd flatten out but they haven't yet.

The mixing valve. This plumbing is going to get reworked a bit and cleaned up come spring. Also, I am going to re-route the waste line. All those black spots are Permatex-2 sealant. It is supposed to be a replacement for teflon tape. My success with it is mixed. It is also impossible to keep that stuff from getting all over.

15'x30'x48 AG Pool
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump
    Hayward S180T Sand Filter
    SWG
    Solar Heat 4'x20'

The Solar Heater Is In

We have a 16' x 32' pool with a 6-1/2' deep end. I have 8- 2' x 20' panels on my garage roof. I can raise my water temp from 64 degrees to 86 in two days. Of course those would be sunny days! They work very well and would recommend them to everyone.
    16' x 32' rectangle with 4' radius corners.
    Approximately 19,200 gallons
    Hayward sand filter and pump
    ColorQ Pro 7 Test Kit

Re: The Solar Heater Is In

Is there a certain brand of these that is recommended?

Also, can someone point me in the direction of the frames?

Thank you! I'm a soon to be pool owner.

Kim