Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AO Smith Pump Motor Failure

1. Back To Top    #1

AO Smith Pump Motor Failure

Just over a year ago, I purchased an AO Smith 2-speed 2 HP motor (SQS1202R) to replace the old single speed motor for my Anthony bronze centrifugal pool pump. I attached the motor to my Goldline Aqua Plus automation system and everything was fine until I noticed that the pump was not working last week. At first I thought one of the relays in the Aqua Plus system had failed, but then I noticed that the starting capacitor in the motor had blown. However, after replacing the starting capacitor, the motor still would not start. No humming or anything, despite the fact that power was coming into the motor. I could not detect any power going to the capacitor. I took it in to an AO Smith service center and they said that the end bell was broken (I don't understand what this means) and the motor could not be repaired. I believe part of the problem was that I repeatedly turned the motor on and off for short bursts every time I backwashed, which I usually do about six times during the five-month period that my pool is open. I can see how that could blow the capacitor, but I'm a little surprised that it caused irreparable damage to the motor. I have purchased a replacement motor and will be sure not to cycle it on and off, but I will also be picking up my old motor to get a better look at it. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I did that with my old single speed motor all the time and it's probably close to 30 years old.
    22k gallon IG Anthony free-form pool and spa with PebbleSheen finish, Pentair WFDS-8 WhisperFlo Full Rated Dual-Speed 2HP pool pump, Sta-Rite S8D110 System 3 Grid D.E. 53 sq. ft. pool filter, Raypak R406A 399K BTU cupro-nickel propane heater, Polaris 280 pool cleaner with 3/4 HP PB4-60 booster pump, Goldline Aqua Plus controller and SWG, Inter-Fab G-Force pool slide.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AO Smith Pump Motor Failure

Turning it on and off didn't cause that damage. A broken end bell is caused from physical damage.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: AO Smith Pump Motor Failure

Thanks Dave. That's what I thought. It doesn't make any sense to me because the shaft was still intact and when I turned the impeller, I could see it rotating at the other end. There didn't appear to be any damage when I turned the shaft. I just can't imagine what caused this to happen.
    22k gallon IG Anthony free-form pool and spa with PebbleSheen finish, Pentair WFDS-8 WhisperFlo Full Rated Dual-Speed 2HP pool pump, Sta-Rite S8D110 System 3 Grid D.E. 53 sq. ft. pool filter, Raypak R406A 399K BTU cupro-nickel propane heater, Polaris 280 pool cleaner with 3/4 HP PB4-60 booster pump, Goldline Aqua Plus controller and SWG, Inter-Fab G-Force pool slide.