Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand only or Sand and Pea Gravel?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand only or Sand and Pea Gravel?

I saw a post from 2008 on this subject, but wanted to see what everyone thought now that its 2012. My Triton II (TR100) filter can be filled with either 600 lbs of sand OR 450 lbs of sand & 150 lbs of pea gravel. What are the pros and cons of the pea gravel?

Inground, shotcrete pool
    16' x 36'
    19,000 gallons
    Pentair equipment
    Charleston, South Carolina
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Sand only or Sand and Pea Gravel?

Using the pea gravel helps protect the laterals (It takes about 150 pounds to fill the bottom of the tank and cover the laterals). Sand filters work on the square footage of sand at the surface of the sand, so there is no filtration issue with using the pea gravel. And, using the pea gravel, helps prevent clogging and calcium buildup at the laterals. It also makes it easier to clean the sand with either a manual backwash or acid washing the sand. That filter, by the way, is an outstanding filter, rarely used on that small of a pool.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

3. Back To Top    #3

Qx is correct so I'll just second that being a great filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Then Pea gravel it is!
    I'm glad you think the filter is a good one. I built the pool myself and ordered all of the equipment from an online pool supply company. So I have a feeling the equipment they selected for me might be a little overkill.
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

5. Back To Top    #5

I KNOW that filter is a good one. Look at my sig line! You should probably be able to go the entire swim season without backflushing!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!