Swampy mess now looks like cloudy caribbean ocean...

Jun 25, 2012
Hi.
I have an above ground 18x32', Hayward sand filter, pool which for the past three weeks had a really bad swampy green algae problem. Thanks to the advice of many BBB members, I have cleared up my swampy mess for the most part it is clean and clear to about 40" with the last 8" being cloudy which I believe will filter out by tomorrow. But now I am left with the following chemistry:
FC: 25
PH: 6.8
CYA: 70

Unfortunately, pool store basically refused to give me any other numbers and said that I didn't need them.
Thanks for any help that you can provide

I'm surprised that you found a pool store able to test the FC that high. I don't like the fact that they wouldn't give you any more test results. At least TA.

I'd raise the pH asap too. It's a guessing game as to how much borax to add but without a TA number it a real guessing game.

Yes, you could tell the guy at my pool store didn't like that I knew what I was talking about when I went in today after studying these boards for the past 3 days. He basically argued with me that I didn't need to know the cya number or TA. The only way I got the pH is by calling back and getting them over the phone. He's probably worried I'll stop buying... my $1000 in pool chemicals this month probably brought him into bonus pay... ;)

Anyway, do you think I need to drain off some of the pool in order to bring the cya and the chlorine level down now? Or, do I keep the chlorine level really high until the water is clear to the bottom? Lastly, is all of this chlorine going to damage my liner?

Thx again!

Okay, got new test results:
FC: 10
PH: 8.0
CYA: 20
TA: 150

Based on these test results, it looks like I need to lower ph by using m. acid and aerate? Should I bring the chlorine level up again too? My pool is still cloudy as it has been since May, although, I have only been using the BBB for 10 days. But, finally, there is NO green... I can't believe it, but, thanks to this forum there is finally NO GREEN in my pool!!! It is pretty clear, but the bottom 10 inches are cloudy. It is very clean of debris on bottom of pool and walls of pool as I have brushed walls and vacuumed every day for 10 days. Filter runs 24x7.
Someone recommended that I turn my filter off for 12 hours to let all small particles fall to bottom of pool? What do you think? Any advice to get this thing cleared up once and for all? Is it safe to swim in?
Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Vinyl liner above ground Pool, oval shape, 16,000 gallons, uses chlorine and a hayward sand filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.