Returns loses steam and eventually stop working

pisstol27

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
Hi, I am also new to the forum and was about to post a similar question. I moved into a new house last month with an inground pool (my first time owning a pool). I have 5 return valves throughout the pool and after a couple of hours, one of them usually loses steam and eventually stops working. Three of them also lose steam, but after 4 hours or more. One of them seems to last longer than the rest, but does get weaker. Is this normal or a sign of a problem?

How are your pressure readings on the filter while this is going on? How does the water look? Does the pump strainer basket stay full of water?

The pressure reading stays constant. I just opened the pool last weekened and it was pretty bad, but I got it to only a slight green color after shocking it a few times and adding alkaline powder. I'm new to pools, so I am not sure what a pump strainer basket but therether is a recangualr glass compartment near the pump that I can see water flowing through. I think that is what you are referring to. I did notice that when the valves stop working, I am no longer able to see water flowing through.

Bad gauge. Likely your pressure was rising more than you think and you should be backwashing more often.

After a thorough backwashing/cleaning of the filter. Record the clean pressure and then clean your filter whenever the pressure goes up by 20-25% of that clean pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.