Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Chlorease

  1. #1

    Chlorease

    Does anyone have any experience with the Chlorease above ground chlorine generators? They seem to be available for around two hundred dollars. I'm curious how effective they are. I do know from reading the manual they need to be cleaned monthly. A salt water pool sounds attractive for a number of reasons but I can't find anybody but Chlorease making SWCG for above ground pools, and I'm somewhat skeptical of the device based on it's low price and not knowing anything about the manufacturer.

  2. #2
    Guest
    Goldline makes the AquaTrol units for above ground pools. They cost a bit more than the Chlorese but they are real, self cleaning SWGs!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    278
    I had looked at one and thought about it....You kinda think it is a waste of my hard earned $$$$ waterbear?
    Steve
    Echo Canyon II by Artesian Pools, 13.5 KGal AG Round, 22" Artesian Sand Filter 2 hp Artesian pump
    Med Lab Tech for 12 years in E.TN
    Chem testing by Trouble Free Test Kits

  4. #4
    Senior Member NWMNMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Waaay NW MN
    Posts
    1,574
    Wondering too.......
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

  5. #5
    Guest
    Smartpool distributes the Chlorease and I know that many people have had problems with their warranty service on the Dolphin pool cleaners that they distribute. I would be careful. There are two models of Chlorese for above ground pools and one for inground. I know the original model was not self cleaning and I don't know if the other two are. Also since the above ground one is passive and the water is not forced through it I would wonder how efficient it is. Goldline has been producing SWGs for over 12 years now and they have 4 models of the AquaTrol (2 straight plug and 2 twist lock plug) that will control your pool pump and have 2 different cell mounting arrangements. Either plumbed inline with pvc or flexible tubing or attached to the return of the pool. They might cost a bit more but you have a lot of experience behind them and also the great support of Goldline, which is a Hayward subsidiary
    Also, the pool pilot cubby is another unit that can be used in above ground pools, although not specifically made for them.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    33
    I'm curious too..if anyone has more info about these. I'm reading up on SWG's but have pretty much ruled one out for at least this year because of the cost. $200 is cheap so I am skeptical but with $1200+ price tags on traditional SWG they are more than just a bit more expensive and out of my reach for now.
    27' round AGP, 2hp 2speed pump & 150sf cartridge filter --taking a stab at BBB and eyeing all the cool gadgets available for pools ;)

  7. #7
    Senior Member NWMNMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Waaay NW MN
    Posts
    1,574
    I think the cheapest I saw one (Aquatrol or PP, not sure which one) was around $770 or so. Kind of cha-ching. But, I think I remember somewhere that the Chlorease replacement cells cost almost as much as the unit themselves. Might be wrong, but it sticks in my head.....
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    33
    even if the cells were $200...that's not sounding too bad when you think about it--$200 for startup, $200 in a couple years vs. $800 (min) startup and $200-300 in a couple years. I mean, either way you have to replace cell in SWG right? I was reading the manual though--it calls for 3500-4000 ppm salt, states very loudly to NEVER let salt level fall below 2500...that sounds like alot to me. I was under the impression that most SWG call for around 3000 ppm, no?

    Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    I think the cheapest I saw one (Aquatrol or PP, not sure which one) was around $770 or so. Kind of cha-ching. But, I think I remember somewhere that the Chlorease replacement cells cost almost as much as the unit themselves. Might be wrong, but it sticks in my head.....
    27' round AGP, 2hp 2speed pump & 150sf cartridge filter --taking a stab at BBB and eyeing all the cool gadgets available for pools ;)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    1,423
    My uncle always taught me:

    "A good thing is not cheap, and...
    a cheap thing is not good."
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    Commercial Products Sales Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member In the Industry
    JoshU's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by amieelynne
    even if the cells were $200...that's not sounding too bad when you think about it--$200 for startup, $200 in a couple years vs. $800 (min) startup and $200-300 in a couple years. I mean, either way you have to replace cell in SWG right?
    From what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong) the entire unit is replaced, not just the cell. I've never seen a part # for just the cell. Also, I don't believe it has a very long cell life as it only carries a 1 year warranty.


    Quote Originally Posted by aimeelynne
    I was reading the manual though--it calls for 3500-4000 ppm salt, states very loudly to NEVER let salt level fall below 2500...that sounds like alot to me. I was under the impression that most SWG call for around 3000 ppm, no?
    Most domestic salt systems need 3000-3500 ppm of salt. However some imports need as much as 6000 ppm (way too high). You don't want to go higher than 3500 ppm.
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells
    PoolHeatPumpWarehouse.com - AquaCal Heat Pumps

  11. #11
    Senior Member MikeInTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    1,349
    In the FWIW column, I've got a ChlorEase CL02. The only difference between the CL01 and the CL02 is the CL02 has a controller that displays the generating efficiency of the cell, has LED indicators for the salt level in the water, and has a one-setting timer. It isn't self-cleaning.

    I've been using it for about a month now, and so far it's been OK. I placed it the next panel over from the returns, so the returns circulate water through it. I haven't had to clean it yet. I've got the timer set for 12 hours on, 12 hours off at the moment, but still playing with the timing a bit to keep my FC where it needs to be.

    Is it as good as an Aquatrol?? Of course not. But I figured for the price, it was worth a shot.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

  12. #12
    Senior Member NWMNMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Waaay NW MN
    Posts
    1,574
    I would love to know more about this. Keep us updated on how it works - first hand knowledge is always better than anything on items. Thanks!

    Edit: I just did a bit of research and found that they actually make 3 models. The 03 model is for both IG and AG pools and is installed inline like other models. It is self cleaning and has the timers, etc. The cost was around $599 at one place - I have seen the 01 model (plain no controls) that hangs over the side for around $149, the controlled over the wall (02) round $279. Replacement cells for the over the wall models were foun for $49.99 - the over the walls carry a 3 yr warranty.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    33
    Mike,

    are you having trouble with it not producing enough fc or too much? I'm looking at this for a 27' round and wonder if it's powerful enough so Im curious. also, did you change it over to a 110 from 220v and just connect it to your existing gfci or did you have a new line run? only a month into it, so this is a long shot but have you noticed a huge jump in electricity use running this and your filter? what about bonding it? oh, and with the high ppm recommended to you find a noticably salty taste to your water? I know, tons of questions but you're one of the few out there with first hand knowledge of this product so you're now the go-to guy thanks for sharing that info with all of us

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    In the FWIW column, I've got a ChlorEase CL02. The only difference between the CL01 and the CL02 is the CL02 has a controller that displays the generating efficiency of the cell, has LED indicators for the salt level in the water, and has a one-setting timer. It isn't self-cleaning.

    I've been using it for about a month now, and so far it's been OK. I placed it the next panel over from the returns, so the returns circulate water through it. I haven't had to clean it yet. I've got the timer set for 12 hours on, 12 hours off at the moment, but still playing with the timing a bit to keep my FC where it needs to be.

    Is it as good as an Aquatrol?? Of course not. But I figured for the price, it was worth a shot.
    27' round AGP, 2hp 2speed pump & 150sf cartridge filter --taking a stab at BBB and eyeing all the cool gadgets available for pools ;)

  14. #14
    Senior Member NWMNMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Waaay NW MN
    Posts
    1,574
    I did a little review over at PF and saw that there were a few with these last year. The one I saw that did have issues was one person who had very high Alk and Calcium levels in her pool, it would cake up on the cell and required more frequent cleaning.

    The Chlorease (SmartPool) website notes that this comes in 110v and that it will control up to 18000 gals. The one Mike has is the one with the controls on it to regulate how long/how much chlorine is generated.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

  15. #15
    Senior Member MikeInTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    I would love to know more about this. Keep us updated on how it works - first hand knowledge is always better than anything on items. Thanks!

    Edit: I just did a bit of research and found that they actually make 3 models. The 03 model is for both IG and AG pools and is installed inline like other models. It is self cleaning and has the timers, etc. The cost was around $599 at one place - I have seen the 01 model (plain no controls) that hangs over the side for around $149, the controlled over the wall (02) round $279. Replacement cells for the over the wall models were foun for $49.99 - the over the walls carry a 3 yr warranty.
    I'll be more than happy to keep you updated. Best deal I found on the CL02 was at swimmingpoolsetc.com . I gave $173 for it there.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

  16. #16
    Senior Member MikeInTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by amieelynne
    Mike,

    are you having trouble with it not producing enough fc or too much? I'm looking at this for a 27' round and wonder if it's powerful enough so Im curious. also, did you change it over to a 110 from 220v and just connect it to your existing gfci or did you have a new line run? only a month into it, so this is a long shot but have you noticed a huge jump in electricity use running this and your filter? what about bonding it? oh, and with the high ppm recommended to you find a noticably salty taste to your water? I know, tons of questions but you're one of the few out there with first hand knowledge of this product so you're now the go-to guy thanks for sharing that info with all of us
    Right now I'm trying to get it adjusted. I may crank it back up to 23 hours on, one off, and see just how much FC it'll produce. As soon as I get some reliable data, I'll be happy to share with all. As NWMNMom pointed out, it's supposed to be able to produce enough chlorine for up to 180000 gallons, so it should be able to handle your pool, and also as mom pointed out, it's tranformer is powered by 110V, so I plugged it into my existing GFCI. I don't think I'll notice a real big jump on the electric bill from using it. I've got an electrical load meter that I use to see what my electrical loads are like for different things, and the Chlorease only pulls about half an amp, which would be 50 watts. Compare that to the 15 amps that my 2hp behemoth pump pulls, and that's a drop in the ol' electric bill ocean ( I've got a 1hp pump on the way!). No need to bond it. I've got my salt level at around 3800 ppm, and yes, I can taste it, but it's not strong.

    One thing I didn't like about it when I installed it was the short length of the cable from the controller to the transformer. That cable is only 3 - 4' long, so you have to mount them in fairly close proximity to one another. The cable from the transformer to the outlet isn't much longer, either. Thankfully, the cable from the controller to the cell is fairly long.

    I'll be glad to answer any and all questions I can. Whooohooo!! I'm kind of the go-to guy at work, too!
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

  17. #17
    Senior Member NWMNMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Waaay NW MN
    Posts
    1,574
    Oh thank you. We sure appreciate first hand knowledge.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    750
    Mike, Thanks for the info on where you bought it. My dad wants me to order one of these for him, and he's settled on the CL01, as we determined it could be hooked into his existing timer. However, the price you stated is only $15 or so more than the CLO1, so why not get all the "bells and whistles" plus the 3 year warranty, right?

    If you adjust your unit to 23 hours on, will you run your pump this long too?

  19. #19
    Senior Member MikeInTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    Mike, Thanks for the info on where you bought it. My dad wants me to order one of these for him, and he's settled on the CL01, as we determined it could be hooked into his existing timer. However, the price you stated is only $15 or so more than the CLO1, so why not get all the "bells and whistles" plus the 3 year warranty, right?
    You're more than welcome! Yep, that was my thinking exactly. For $15 more, why not get all the bells and whistles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    If you adjust your unit to 23 hours on, will you run your pump this long too?
    No. The control unit for the CL02 is completely separate from the pump. All it will control is the ChlorEase cell.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    If you adjust your unit to 23 hours on, will you run your pump this long too?
    No. The control unit for the CL02 is completely separate from the pump. All it will control is the ChlorEase cell.
    Mike, I understand... What I meant was will you run your pump to cirulate the water while the chlorease is generating or turn the pump off?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •