Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How many return inlets do I need?

1. Back To Top    #1

How many return inlets do I need?

Hi, my husband and I are renovating our concrete/gunite pool. The pool was built in 1970 and needs some work. The previous owner concreted the main drain (apparently easier than repairing the leak), so we will have to go without it. My question is this: currently, the pool only has 2 return inlets, which are both in the shallow end. Since, we do not have a main drain, I think we need to add more inlets, but I am not sure how many an where they should be located. The pool is kidney shaped and about 27,000 gallons. We will have one skimmer. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How many return inlets do I need?

Welcome to TFP.

Post a pic of the pool and we can make better decisions about it, but I'd guess two in the deep end wall with one being set low in the wall so it could be directed into the hopper.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, I have attached photos. the only 2 return inlets are the ones to the right of the steps. Also, we should re-pipe with 2" PVC, correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

Just added 2 additional photos. The new skimmer (not sure if you can tell from the photos) is located before the ladder, if looking at the pool from the shallow end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

One up high almost directly across from the ladder and one right under it near the bottom of the wall.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you so, so much! Leave the two where they are in the shallow end? 2" PVC is good? You're a life saver!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

You're welcome. Yes, leave the two in the shallow end. 2" PVC is great.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

If I may suggest?
    With the cancellation of the main drain and only one suction point (the skimmer) you're going to experience a suction side restriction. Since it seems likely you're planning to replumb pretty much the whole pool. If recovering the drain is not an option, perhaps another skimmer, or, possibly better, a through wall main drain. That is, dig down, away from the skimmer, and install two fixtures, well below the frost line, at least thee feet apart and teed together (to avoid suction entrapment). This will greatly improve the circulation.

If it's not already there you might also consider installing a line for a pressure side pool cleaner. This will put freshly filtered water, via the cleaner, into the pool, as the cleaner makes its way around the pool.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you, that is good information.