Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst thing ever in your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Worst thing ever in your pool?

What is the worst thing you have ever had get into your pool, for me it was one of these:

Kawasaki Mule
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Worst thing ever in your pool?

We know you have to have pics of it sitting on the bottom......

Worst thing in my first 3 months of pool ownership have been dead frogs, sorry not exciting.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow,

Our biggest intruder was a mouse in the skimmer.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Been a pool owner for a total of 7 days now. The worst thing I've found so far are bumble bees. And I found out that they can tread water so I'm careful about pulling the skimmer basket out without looking first.
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

5. Back To Top    #5

Worst thing was a toddler oozing from his swim diaper . . luckily his daddy saw it right away and pulled him out . I checked the chlorine and it was already at zero . . added some bleach - the chlorine held - and we were back in business

However, it's always very sad for me to see dead critters in the pool . . the worst one to find was a baby bunny. Now I use a "Frog Log" to hopefully help critters on their way out.

Best,
    Jan=
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

6. Back To Top    #6

No photo of the event, the priority at the time was getting it out of the pool, although the scuff mark where it went in is still on the coping. The Mule had just returned from the shop with a new carburetor and someone left a return spring off which meant when the accelerator pedal when pressed it did not come back up. The result was the Mule speeding through its parking space with the brake pressed to the floor, going through the pair of french doors, just clearing the door opening by about 1/2 inch, sheering the doors off their hinges, but some how not breaking any of the glass panes, then the left wheels went into the water in the shallow end and the Mule flipping onto its left side and coming to a stop about where the steps are in my avatar photo. The front bumper tore a 3-4 foot long gash through the liner and of course all the water left the pool (that Mule was the same model as shown in the photo, but did not have the brush guard on the front, instead had a straight bar style front bumper).

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

We had a dead baby bird floating in ours a few weeks ago and also found one backswimmer..........yuck those things are ugly.........[attachment=0:31qw72hh]2012-06-19 11.32.39-1.jpg[/attachment:31qw72hh]
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

I found a scorpion on the bottom of the pool saturday morning
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

9. Back To Top    #9

Worst for me was a dead baby snapping turtle in the skimmer. Yard backs up to a creek, so frogs are common. In fact, the skimmer closest to the house actually is ahead of the other skimmer in body count. Not sure why.
    23k Vinyl, Sand Filter tr60, 1hp Whisperflo pump,Coverstar autocover
    Polaris 280,K2006 kit,direct sunlight

10. Back To Top    #10

Worst thing ever in your pool?

Hehe we almost had a lawn mower in ours. Scuff marks on the coping here too! I didn't hear about that story for about a week after it happened. I think Hubby would have kept it to himself forever if I hadn't asked about the marks.
    29,100gal, sand filter, IG, vinyl

11. Back To Top    #11

Tie between:
    Sick but living skunk (pool wintered empty.)
    50lbs. of nasty snapping turtle--twice, once with water, once without.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

12. Back To Top    #12

A couple of years ago, I was opening the pool and pulled the top of the skimmer and curled up in the top was a snake! I was so freaked out! It got scared also and went into the water. I got my neighbor to come get it out!

After that, I got smart and started using a tool (bent up hanger) instead of my fingers to pull up the skimmer plate.

This year, while opening the pool, I again pulled off the skimmer top and laid it down only to find a HUGE black widow on the underside of the skimmer plate, right next to the hole. It scared me so badly that I stayed away from the pool for a week!
    18x36 Grecian style vinyl 23,000 gal inground pool, Hayward Pro Series S220T sand filter, Hayward Super Pump 1 hp.

13. Back To Top    #13

Nothing as bad as most of the above. But this year, I'm removing dead baby birds from the solar cover almost every day. My son thinks it may be due to a red-tailed hawk that has taken up residence in the neighborhood.
    JimB
    on the Northcoast of the U.S.A.

24ft AG-13,500 gal-Hayward S-166T high rate sand filter-pump is SplashPak Hp 1spl (whatever that means)-TF100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Well. I was going to empty my shallow end skimmer one day. The wife, kid and neighbors are in the pool. I open the lid while telling my wife about whatever and something EXPLODES out of the skimmer, nails me in the chest and knocks me flat on my back. I thought that I was having a coronary.

Wife starts screaming and vacates the pool. Son is laughing head off. Neighbor tomboy shouts "OH COOL!" I am lying and waiting to die.

After about what seems like 20 minutes but is really 2, I get up and decide that I am in fact NOT having a heart attack, and see a 5lb BULLFROG at the bottom of the deep end. The neighbor girl is already at work with the leaf rake and retrieves the culprit to take home to show mother. She was as unimpressed as I.
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

15. Back To Top    #15

Baby plums. They're too large to go into the Broom Vac.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

16. Back To Top    #16

My dad has now killed 6 horseflies with pool noodles. Skimmer likes to pick up spiders and other bugs. Ants tend to go right through the skimmer basket and pump basket to get chopped up by the impeller and end up in my cartridge. That's a lot of fun, seeing tons of chopped up ants in the pleats.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

17. Back To Top    #17

First year I owned the pool, the day before I closed it for the winter, had a deer in there . Tore the liner, solar cover, etc. Had to drain and replace the liner.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by WestSidePool
    First year I owned the pool, the day before I closed it for the winter, had a deer in there . Tore the liner, solar cover, etc. Had to drain and replace the liner.
    One, did you shoot it?

Two, did your insurance cover it?
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

19. Back To Top    #19

I had 2 chipmunks and a mole in my skimmer all at the same time. Had to have the hubby take care of that!
    Installed Sept 2008. 18 x 36 Flatback Kidney Radiant, Vinyl liner 25,000 inground, Hayward Max-Flo 1 HP Pool Pump SP2807X10 (runs 24/7) , Hayward Pro-Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #S244T, Hayward Heat Pro, Frog chlorinator is turned off, TF-100 Test kit

Location is Toronto, Ohio, overlooking the Mighty Ohio River. My river days are done. Sold the boat and Waverunner and now prefer a pool over the river.

20. Back To Top    #20

Mole, Mouse, Frogs, Beatles, Wasps, etc.

Nothing really unusual...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast