Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water in my electrical box...

1. Back To Top    #1

Water in my electrical box...

Take a gander at this...

So... I fell asleep with the hose running, topping off the pool. Next morning, in addition to a completely full pool, I find the above situation. I decided to used the breaker switch in the garage to turn the pumps on and off so I could switch over the filter valve and eject water. As the level went down, the stream of water from the switch box slowed and then stopped.

What. The. Heck!
    20,000 gal in-ground w/ vinyl liner; Goldline Aqua Rite SWG; Hayward sand filter; Hayward .75hp pump; 1.5 hp booster pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; AquaCheck Salt Test Strips

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water in my electrical box...

Is one of those conduits going to the light? If so, you have a major code issue someplace in the circuit. The first junction box is supposed to be well above pool level to prevent that from happening.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Is one of those conduits going to the light?
    I believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    If so, you have a major code issue someplace in the circuit. The first junction box is supposed to be well above pool level to prevent that from happening.
    Oh no...
    20,000 gal in-ground w/ vinyl liner; Goldline Aqua Rite SWG; Hayward sand filter; Hayward .75hp pump; 1.5 hp booster pump

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I am going to take a guess that the box is at or below the grade of the pool edge. I also agree that your junction box for your pool light is installed wrong. Do you have any pics of that?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

This shot pretty well captures everything that is visible with regards to the electrical conduit and boxes.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The short connection between the two junction boxes must be right at the same level as the top of the pool. It is hard to tell from there but that is my guess. Also, if one of those two flex conduits is the feed from the light, and I would guess one is, then it is most likely that it, or both, are full of water. Do you have a shot of the junction box for the light near the pool edge, assuming there is one?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't recall seeing one but I will look again when I get home. I was thinking the same thing about the flex conduits. They have to have water in them...

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

If one was there it should be sticking up out of the deck. This is why they are usually put in the deepend. The diving board goes over the top so you don't stub your toe on it. The reason they are put above the deck is for this very reason. Water can be in the conduit from the nitch to the above ground junction box and not actually get into the junction box. The wire for the light is rated to be wet.

9. Back To Top    #9

Here is a picture of my junction box for my light. The pool is approximately 4' below this junction box to give you an idea of what you're looking for. If that junction box to the right of your filter is serving the same purpose, you aren't too much higher than the pool if at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Not really seeing anything like that on my pool. Just one box for an outlet...

Nothing on the pool side of the brick columns.

Also I tried turning on the lights and it appeared to trip a breaker. I say appeared because the switch doesn't have the orange indicator, but it made an instant click and sort of flipped back down just slightly, though not all the way down. Anyway, I couldn't see any light in the pool. So, it would appear that I have water in the lights or in the circuit somewhere causing a short. Yay!

11. Back To Top    #11

I will bet that the junction box with the flex conduit is in your case the equivalent of a light deck box. It needs to be raised up to meet Code and to prevent flooding. Good thing is that with the flex conduit it can be raised with not a lot of trouble. This will require new conduit between the junction box and the switch. It is also likely that water in the junction box and/or switch is causing your breaker to trip. These boxes will need to opened, drained of the water, and dried out. Turn off the AC supply to this circuit before doing any of the above.
    22k gal, gunite, Pebblesheen, fountain/waterfall, no spa, Quad 100DE, Easytouch4, Pentair VS3050, Polaris 280, TFP-100 kit, Stenner pump

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I will agree with Luna31d. You will need to have those junction boxes both raised up above the flood level of the pool. Unfortunatly, looking at the last pictures you sent it may require some re-wiring as there is not enough room above the current location...you obviously don't want them mounted to the railing. I would look into relocating them to the area on the other side of the filter.

Nice place by the way

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks! And thanks a bunch for the help & advice you guys Decided it was time to bring in the pros for this one. Electrician coming on Monday.

14. Back To Top    #14

If your area has adopted the NEC as the standard for electrical installations and not the IBC or another code, then pages 10-12 of the linked PDF summarise how and what the pool builder should have installed.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w..._Qg05GyJ7iv2jQ
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

And it's hard to believe this installation passed a final inspection, as the light junction is clearly below the pool deck.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

16. Back To Top    #16

So I met with the electrician and we're going to raise the first junction box up about two feet to a new post that will be added inbetween the black fence and the white railing. I wanted to close off that gap anyway. Also, he reset the GFCI and turned on the lights and they are working. So that's a relief. Just need to fix this one issue and I think everything's okay.