Replacing old pool..

Jun 25, 2012
So the pool that came with the house fell apart, and we're ready to replace it this year. What would you do differently that I have a chance to take care of now before we get everything installed?

Round Above Ground - I had thought the one that we had to tear down was a 27 foot, measuring the old site turns out it may have been 24 or smaller - but I think I still want to try to go with the 27. I will likely have to modify the existing deck. Current site has gotten quite overgrown so I'm going to have to get in there and do some landscaping. Plan is to go with sand filter. I'll be paying for installation as I don't trust myself to get it right. Have been reading about the different bottom coverings and will probably pick something like a gorilla pad or one of the others of the like.

I'm sure most pool owners wish there was something they had thought of before installing - so trying to tap that wealth of knowledge here for some thoughts.

Plan, Plan, Plan

Seriously, you can't be too prepared if you intend to do it yourself. Read and understand pool school, have a good test kit, watch MANY online pool install videos and make a comprehensive list on what you need. When it's time, you just execute the plan.
My thoughts:
- go as big as you can afford or have room for
- I recommend resin over steel
- if I did it again I'd upgrade every item in the "pool accessory kit" (ie: ladder, solar cover, pole, vacuum head, etc as most of these are sufficiently cheap as they will likely get re-purchased shortly after)
- anticipate a dedicate electrical circuit to your pool, have it adequately powered
- plan the area around the pool: decking, etc

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.