LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2012
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is my second attempt to make my first post (I think it was in the wrong place before), but I've been lurking for a little while trying to make good purchasing decisions. I am a total pool newbie. Thanks so much to you already!

My new 27' round AG ~17,600 gal pool was delivered today. Yay! I knew in advance, thanks to TFP, to refuse the start-up chemicals and that my package would include a too-big pump with a too-small filter. The seller, however, would not separate the packaged sets. So I upgraded to the largest sand filter they had to offer, an "Ecco" oval 22" 250# guy by Waterway. It filters 2.6 SF with a flow rate of 55 GPM. With it is a 1.5 HP pump, single speed, but I can't tell anything else from the box. My thought is that between delivery and installation I can buy a different pump and sell this one.

Is a mix and match so easy? The installers work exclusively with the retailer, so they will not be prepared for random changes, I'm afraid. Will the fittings on the two match up or will I need to choose the same brand?

And about a different pump, will 3/4 HP be sufficient? If so, will I want a 2 speed in order to vacuum, or is that just for the bigger pumps?

I am also researching inexpensive chlorine generators (which might change my pump need?, and surely changes what chemicals I need to get out and buy) such as ChlorEase or Intex, but my pool volume is too big for any AG versions I have found. And I'm left wondering if these systems are even complete. if anyone has a recommendation, I would surely appreciate it!

Lastly (for now LOL), I have read through Pool School and want to double-check that my procedure for start up will be like that described for the temporary pools that come down at the end of each season. If I haven't found a SWCG, that is. There doesn't seem to be start-up directions for a new bigger pool.

I'll work on my signature :wave: Thanks! SO EXCITED!

Let's attack the problems at hand and later we'll work on the swcg.

While changing the pump would be nice there's no imminent need to do so. Also, going to a 2-speed is more important than going much smaller. I'd say that a 1 hp 2-speed would be a good size for your pool. A 3/4 hp will work but they're not easy to find.

The plumbing won't be a problem as they'll have standard sized fittings.

Adding a swcg won't change the chemicals or approach as much as you may think.

Dave, thanks for a quick response! I guess I want to rush the equipment purchases because if I can get it done before the installers arrive, they will be putting it in, instead of me, a much less intimidating idea! BTW, I have no idea how much time I have, as they will call me sometime in the next 2 days, supposedly, to set up a date for installation. A quick Internet search took me to a 1 hp 2-speeder but already brought up another question. The pump is offered with either a horizontal or vertical discharge... huh? Which is typical, and why do I care?

It also has a standard plug, and I believe the one in my garage is not. Before I install the electric, which is likely to be the kind of plug I can expect to need in the future as pumps and other items need replacing? Thanks so much!!

Here is the URL to the pump in question, but I don't know how to actually post a link: http://www.aquasupercenter.com/products ... ~6198.html

If you have a filter with a top mount valve it needs to be a vertical discharge. If it's a cartridge filter without a valve it needs to be a horizontal. However it's not a deal breaker as either can be plumbed without much trouble to either. Also, some pumps can be changed from vertical to horizontal.

Don't worry about the cord and plug. It's easily changed from one to the other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.