Use of Pesticides around the pool?

radefeld

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2012
Bonner Springs, Kansas
Searched around for threads on pesticide use, bur didn't get anything to answer my question directly and wanted to get the forums thoughts. We've lived in this house for about a year and half now and last year we had some bagworms in the evergreen bushes around the pool. We just handpicked them off and made a dent in the population but they just kept coming and they're back again this year.

My question is - I was wondering if pesticide use around the pool is safe/acceptable.

I have 4 kids who are in the pool nearly every day - aged 6-12. Personally, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the spraying something so near the pool (the bushes are between 5-15 feet away) but don't want these little buggers get out of control (my wife emailed a bit ago and said they are REALLY thick this year in one bush - her and the kids spent 30 minutes and filled half a jar with them). If push comes to shove, I'm confident on a calm day it could be done with minimal overspray.

Here are what the worms look like
bagworm.gif

And a bit of detail about them:
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef440.asp

Would probably use the Orthene Tree and Shrub Insecticide or Ortho Max Lawn & Garden Insect Killer Concentrate -

Any concerns about getting in the pool water, how long the chemical would stay in the water or potential risks of use around a family pool?

Thanks in advance, I am always impressed by the responses I get from this forum!

Bagworms crawl over the ground to get to the shrubs. I've had good luck with carbaryl (Sevin) dust on the ground at the base of the shrubs combined with hand removal.

Read the warning label on the pesticide bottle and box. It will give you information on proper use and an idea of how dangerous small amounts might be. If you were just spraying in the area with only a little getting into the pool, then the huge dilution from the pool water would likely make it a non-issue. I'd be more concerned if you dropped/spilled a bottle of concentrated solution or powder into the pool though even then it will still get significantly diluted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.