Cloudy pool... help!

jen088

May 13, 2012
I have a 12x3 above ground pool. I was gone for a few days and my chlorine and pH dropped, so when I got back... cloudy water. I raised the chlorine and pH back to a normal level. I shocked the pool last night... still cloudy. I started to brush the bottom of the pool this morning to clear debris and noticed a greenish cloud when I used the brush. The nightmare of every pool owner... algea! This morning my chlorine was at a 3 and pH was 7.6. What in the world do I do now? As you can guess... I'm pretty new to the whole pool thing, so please be as specific as you can. Thanks again for your help!

You need to MAINTAIN shock level util your water meets the 3 criteria for shocking in pool school. Shock level FC kept for your CYA level--------running and filtering till done.

Can you please explain what shock level is and what the 3 criteria for shocking a pool are? This is the first time I have ever done this and don't completely understand the process. I am guessing FC is my cholorine level, but I have no idea what CYA means. Sorry, I don't know all the terminology yet. If you could give me the "pools for dumbies" version, I need more details.

The article helps, but I'm still kind of unclear on the whole thing because it is so unfamiliar to me. Perhaps I just need to figure it out as I go along. I really hope this works and clears up the algae. It would help if I had a vac that actually worked, but on the Intex pools, the vac doesn't work so well. Putting the hose over the water intake does not hold it on, and it is not at all possible to do alone. Tried that, and I am quite certain it would have made for an entertaining video. Anyway, thanks for the advice! If anyone else has any tips that might be helpful, please let me know :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.