Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool... help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy pool... help!

I have a 12x3 above ground pool. I was gone for a few days and my chlorine and pH dropped, so when I got back... cloudy water. I raised the chlorine and pH back to a normal level. I shocked the pool last night... still cloudy. I started to brush the bottom of the pool this morning to clear debris and noticed a greenish cloud when I used the brush. The nightmare of every pool owner... algea! This morning my chlorine was at a 3 and pH was 7.6. What in the world do I do now? As you can guess... I'm pretty new to the whole pool thing, so please be as specific as you can. Thanks again for your help!
    I have a Hayward vari-flo xl-valve. Hp 1.5 Model SM-1700t. Sand filter.
    I believe I have a 24" above ground round pool. Liner has fish on top and a ocean scene on bottom.
    We live in clarksville, Tn. The pool is in full sun.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy pool... help!

How many gallons is this pool?

ETA: Have you seen this from Pool School? pool-school/temporary_pool_guide
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to MAINTAIN shock level util your water meets the 3 criteria for shocking in pool school. Shock level FC kept for your CYA level--------running and filtering till done.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you please explain what shock level is and what the 3 criteria for shocking a pool are? This is the first time I have ever done this and don't completely understand the process. I am guessing FC is my cholorine level, but I have no idea what CYA means. Sorry, I don't know all the terminology yet. If you could give me the "pools for dumbies" version, I need more details.
    I believe I have a 24" above ground round pool. Liner has fish on top and a ocean scene on bottom.

5. Back To Top    #5

10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

6. Back To Top    #6

The article helps, but I'm still kind of unclear on the whole thing because it is so unfamiliar to me. Perhaps I just need to figure it out as I go along. I really hope this works and clears up the algae. It would help if I had a vac that actually worked, but on the Intex pools, the vac doesn't work so well. Putting the hose over the water intake does not hold it on, and it is not at all possible to do alone. Tried that, and I am quite certain it would have made for an entertaining video. Anyway, thanks for the advice! If anyone else has any tips that might be helpful, please let me know