Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rising water temperature: Chlorine Usage.

1. Back To Top    #1

Rising water temperature: Chlorine Usage.

I read this on another thread
    Sunlight uses up more chlorine when the water is warm than it does when the water is colder.

I know this to be true but I don't have a firm understanding of the reason. I read one thread that said the warmer water basically creates a better environment for algae to grow but that it really doesn't cause more chrlorine use. This seems contradictory because basically it does cause more chlorine use, if only to fight the more present algae.

Also, why does the pool calculator not account for temperature when using free chlorine figures? I can try and raise my FC by 2 at 50F and at 100F and the same amount of chlorine is needed according to the calculator. I suppose the answer will be: because the water temp, doesn't effect chlorine consumption, while in reality it really does, it effects it drastically in my experience.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rising water temperature: Chlorine Usage.

The pool calculator does not care how much chlorine, that is your job. All the calculator does is calculates how much concentration change you can expect from a known addition added to a known pool size.

If you find that you need more chlorine, then you need to adjust how often or how much chlorine you put in your pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    The pool calculator does not care how much chlorine, that is your job.
    The pool calculator calculates how much chlorine, that is what it is for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

4. Back To Top    #4

I should clarify, it does not care how much chlorine your pool is using. Sorry about that

The calculator is dumb, you tell it how much you have and you tell it where you want it to go, it calculates how much chlorine to put in.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    The calculator is dumb
    Now you're going to offend Jason! :P

JK, but seriously it doesn't care how much chlorine. It calculates the difference. I think most people understand that and this conversion doesn't really answer the temperature to usage ratio.

My chlorine usage doesn't appear to change with the temperature, but it does change with the amount of sunlight (which makes it warmer).

EDIT: Just realized I answered a question from a user who has an anti-speedo avatar.
    I feel the same way though. I only wear the speedo by myself and with my fiance, because it's like underwear
    Under normal circumstances I wouldn't want to be seen or see any other dudes with one on. Or maybe it means beware is in, bikini guys ahead!
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]