Daily Chemicals

Terrjam said:
Is it normal to need to add chlorine and stabilizer every day? The amounts I need to add have gotten smaller, but I still am adding every day. Just want to make sure this is a normal routine or if I am doing something wrong.
Adding chlorine daily is normal, but adding stabilizer daily is not normal.

What are you adding - exactly?

Can you post current water test results?

Terrjam said:
Is it normal to need to add chlorine and stabilizer every day? The amounts I need to add have gotten smaller, but I still am adding every day. Just want to make sure this is a normal routine or if I am doing something wrong.

Stabilizer which establishes your CYA level, is never added every day as part of the BBB method. Adding too much will make your CYA level too high and caring for your pool very difficult.

My levels are:
fc 3
pH 7.5
cya 30-50

I have the liquid drops test kit which only has enough to test cya about 2 times. where do i get more stuff to test cya without buying the entire kit? or is it not necessary to test cya as long as my ph and chlorine are good?

I have been using the hth Stabilizer and Conditioner powder which contains cyanuric acid.

Terrjam said:
My levels are:
fc 3
pH 7.5
cya 30-50

I have the liquid drops test kit which only has enough to test cya about 2 times. where do i get more stuff to test cya without buying the entire kit? or is it not necessary to test cya as long as my ph and chlorine are good?

What test kit are you using? What are your CH, TA and CC levels? CYA levels do not need to be monitored too frequently unless you are using stabilized chlorine. Using the BBB method, you can sort of "set it and forget it."

CYA should be added very carefully, with a specific target in mind. You can only reduce CYA by replacing water, or performing RO on your water. Assuming you are not adding CYA as part of chlorination, in addition to the conditioner you have been using, it would be best to use the Pool Calculator with a full set of test numbers to make any further decisions about adding things to your pool. Also, CYA can take several days to show up in test results. A rule of thumb is to add 1/2 to 2/3 of the Pool Calculator recommendation, and wait seven days to test and add the rest if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.