Backwashing every 4 days!!

RisLC

Apr 25, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and have never posted, so if I write something stupid, please forgive me.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been having to backwash my D.E. filter every 4 or 5 days. So, I thought my filter needed a thorough cleaning. So on Thursday someone came out and took the filter apart and thoroughly cleaned it, and the pressure was great (18 p.s.i.). This morning (Monday) I wake up and check the pressure and it's already at 30.

I haven't changed the type of D.E. powder I'm using, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Thank you in advance for any help!!

Laura

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Well, it sounds like the filter is clearing stuff from the pool.

Can you post a full set of water test results and tell us how you got them?
We need:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CYA
CH

How does your water look? A pic would be nice, too :)

OK - Here are my test results (17,000 gallon salt water pool). I did the test myself (TF-100 Test Kit), so if the readings are totally off the wall, I will drive to Leslie's and have them test our water.

FC - 3 (too high?)
CC - 10.5
pH - 7.8
TA - 110ppm
CYA - 20ppm (we added 1 gallon of stabilizer from Leslie's, but I guess it wasn't enough?). I will go purchase more.
CH - 380ppm

[attachment=2:1igeshre]pool1.JPG[/attachment:1igeshre] [attachment=1:1igeshre]pool2.jpg[/attachment:1igeshre] [attachment=0:1igeshre]pool3.jpg[/attachment:1igeshre]

Thanks again,

Laura

Attachments

• pool1.JPG
    pool1.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 183
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 183
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 183
Beautiful pool!

First, I ask that you to retest the FC and CC to confirm.

What was the CYA level before you added the gallon of CYA?

Assuming the FC/CC test is correct, it looks like the CYA could have converted to ammonia.

I suggest you do not add any more CYA until we confirm.

Also, much lower priority then what Butterfly asked, but when you get a chance, could you put your pool and equipment info into your sig. I wanted to see what size DE filter you have in case it is undersized.

This is a picture of my Chlorine test results:
[attachment=0:3k8n1cxh]Chlorine.jpg[/attachment:3k8n1cxh]

I got the following results:

FC - 3
CC - 10

Before adding the stabilizer, the CYA was 0 according to Leslie's Water Analysis report. Here are the test results from their water analysis:

FC - 1ppm
TAC - 0ppm
Calcium Hardness - 230
CYA - 0 (Added 1 gallon of stabilizer) as instructed by Leslie's
Total Alkalinity - 80
pH - 7.4
Phosphates - 1,000 (Added 2 capfuls of Phosfree + to skimmer) as instructed by Leslie's

Is it possible for the reagents in my test kit to go bad? I looked for expiration dates, but couldn't find any.

====

also the DE Filter is 48sqft

Attachments

• Chlorine.jpg
    Chlorine.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 169

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It does appear that the CYA has been converted to ammonia and the cure is to shock the pool. I suggest you turn off the SWG and use bleach/liquid chlorine and shock until you meet the three criteria to be done shocking. See red lines in my sig.

Follow the instructions for "How to shock your pool" in Pool School.

I am running to the store to pick up liquid bleach and will follow the instructions listed under "How to Shock Your Pool" in the Pool School.

I want to thank you guys so much for all your help and advice. I'm going to have to start reading the posts and advice in this forum from now on, and stop getting advice from the staff at Leslie's Pool Supply. The staff is nice, but I'm not sure if they really know what they're talking about.

Also, a question for RobbieH: Remember, I am a new pool owner, so don't laugh at my question. Why do I ignore phosphates?

Since you need to shock the pool, do not add anymore CYA. This would boost the amount of chlorine needed for the shock. The shock is needed because there is something growing in the pool that is sucking up your chlorine. Yes, the free chlorine appears high on the OTO test, but you need to boost significantly. The Pool School and calculator should help you determine how much chlorine bleach is needed to shock your pool for a given level of CYA. pH also seems a little on the high side, but is not a huge concern. Once you have done the shock, you should get to a point where the CC level drops to less than 1. Under optimal conditions, it really should be zero. The reason why you are needing to backwash so frequently is that the stuff growing in your pool keeps clogging up your DE filter with their dead bodies!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.